The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

condition of balls

Hey now, wait a minute, that's not what I meant . I'm wondering if anyone else notices that game balls are atrocious this year. At least with the Utrip tourneys I'm doing, it only takes one over the fence, out of play hit for the ball to come back with cuts, tears and notches. The cover seems to be paper thin. Anyone else notice this in there games with any association?
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Hey now, wait a minute, that's not what I meant . I'm wondering if anyone else notices that game balls are atrocious this year. At least with the Utrip tourneys I'm doing, it only takes one over the fence, out of play hit for the ball to come back with cuts, tears and notches. The cover seems to be paper thin. Anyone else notice this in there games with any association?
Yes, and it started last year. The Dudley brand used to be pretty durable, but since last year, they've been crap.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I saw it more last year around this time of year.
It wasn't limited to USSSA, I noticed it on a few ASA outings, too.

I haven't noticed that problem recently.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Actually, I saw it more last year around this time of year.
It wasn't limited to USSSA, I noticed it on a few ASA outings, too.

I haven't noticed that problem recently.
As I stated, I noticed a dramatic drop in durability of Dudley brand balls, regardless of sanctioning logo.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 09:00pm
Administrator

Last year's USSSA FP balls were terrible. Junior and I do not have a USSSA tournament until June 15th but the ASA FP tournament we had this past weekend had balls that were almost as bad as last year's USSSA FP balls. Surprisingly the NFHS balls have never been a problem for years.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Last year's USSSA FP balls were terrible. Junior and I do not have a USSSA tournament until June 15th but the ASA FP tournament we had this past weekend had balls that were almost as bad as last year's USSSA FP balls. Surprisingly the NFHS balls have never been a problem for years.

MTD, Sr.
I wonder if it's a regional distribution thing.
Like I said earlier, last year (around this time) I worked several ASA tournaments where I noticed the problem. I also noticed the same with some USSSA tournaments.
This year (since maybe January) I have not had a problem.

I wonder if they tried a new (probably cheaper) cover, then got so many complaints, they made a better cover but are still trying to use up the inferior balls..
Old Thu Jun 05, 2014, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
MTD -

Does Jr. know that the balls you are currently using is what he has to look forward to in 30 years !!!!!������������
Old Mon Jun 09, 2014, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I take it back.....

OK, I take back what I said about seeming to not have the problem with poorly covered balls, that I noticed last year.

Just finished a 3 day tournament and the balls (Diamond High Flyer) were absolutely terrible. Starting with new balls had to retire at least 2 or three per game.

Last year when we were having troubles, I thought part of the reason was that the quad fields had a lot of cement around them.

This past weekend, the fields were converted 90' baseball fields with a lot of grass between the foul lines and the fences as well as behind home plate. Consequently way fewer balls went out of play than I see when playing at the typical softball complex.
Old Thu Jun 12, 2014, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Glad it's not just me

I've noticed it too, and also in that other similar game that uses a smaller, white ball with a similar cover and stitching.

The cover layer is so thin that the average chain link fence that forms the average backstop or fence just cuts right through.

On average, we have been going with 5 balls for a game, 3 or 4 new, and 1-2 best used late models, and if 1 or 2 are halfway decent by the end (those good late models for the next game), it has been a good day.

Given what is being charged for a box of balls, I can understand why whomever is paying the bill is grumbling about having to provide so many, and also why they are being made with such a flimsy cover, ensuring a healthy market for the obscenely priced product.