The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction

R1 on 2B, R2 on 1B, no outs. R1 off on the pitch, hard grounder to F4, who tags R2 and throws to F3 to retire B3. F3 fires home.
R1 is obstructed by F5 just shy of 3B and is put out on a bang-bang play at home.
OC wants obstruction, DC points out there was not one, but two intervening plays after the OBS.
Triple play?
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Intervening play after the obstructed runner safely reaches the base they would have obtained absent the obstruction.
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

If the calling umpire judges she would have reached home safely absent the obstruction, the intervening plays mean nothing; award home.

If the calling umpire did not judge she would have reached home safely absent the obstruction, runner is out at home (not between the two obstructed bases, and not protected to home by judgment).
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
R1 on 2B, R2 on 1B, no outs. R1 off on the pitch, hard grounder to F4, who tags R2 and throws to F3 to retire B3. F3 fires home.
R1 is obstructed by F5 just shy of 3B and is put out on a bang-bang play at home.
OC wants obstruction, DC points out there was not one, but two intervening plays after the OBS.
Triple play?
Based on the wording of the OP, I would be awarding home? Why? If she was out on a bang bang play, she likely would have scored had she not be obstructed prior to 3b.

If she is thrown out by 10 feet, she's out as she already passed the base she would be protected to in my judgment.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Based on the wording of the OP, I would be awarding home? Why? If she was out on a bang bang play, she likely would have scored had she not be obstructed prior to 3b.

If she is thrown out by 10 feet, she's out as she already passed the base she would be protected to in my judgment.
Uh=oh
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

It's deja vu allover again!

At the time R! was obstructed where did BU believe R1 was going to end up sans the OBS? Not including playing action after the obstruction. The ball was in the infield at the time so I admit I have a hard time seeing protection beyond 3B.

Remember, we don't "add on" to the end of the play. The decision as to whether R1 should be protected to 3B or home should already be made before the bang-bang play at the plate happens.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And therein lies the problem. If you were only protecting her to 3B, then that is to where you protect her. Once she reaches that point, the OBS is dropped and play continues as normal.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 07:52am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And therein lies the problem. If you were only protecting her to 3B, then that is to where you protect her. Once she reaches that point, the OBS is dropped and play continues as normal.
Isn't this a situation where the runner getting obstructed as she is "just shy of 3B" as the OP states grounds for considering the OBS happening between third and home? After all, if she was trying to round third to go home, the OBS prevented that.

And if that was the case, she cannot be put out at home. She would be returned to third if she's tagged out at home by a good margin.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess my point is, she'd have been safe without the OBS, and are the intervening plays technicalities per the rulebook that remove her protection?
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Uh=oh
And it doesn't even matter how often we repeat the same correction. Not multiple years of experience but rather one year of experience multiple times. Sigh...

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess my point is, she'd have been safe without the OBS, and are the intervening plays technicalities per the rulebook that remove her protection?
Your OP does not make the timing of events clear, but I infer from "F3 fires home" that this occurred when R2 was nearly home already. In that case, the effect of the obstruction is in the past, and this is a subsequent play. With the ball in the infield during the entire playing action, protection of more than one base is not happening in most cases.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you are awarding a particular base due to obstruction and they don't get to that base, award the base.

Re-read the section that deals with intervening plays - that VERY rarely comes into play in real action - and only applies in situations where the runner has reached the award base and THEN an intervening play happens. So ... it can only really negate the "between the bases where she was obstructed" part and then only if the awarded base was going to be the previous base.

IE - obstructed rounding 2nd, but never going to make 3rd - award is 2nd, protection is between 2nd and 3rd. Then there's an intervening play and she heads to 3rd - the "between 2nd and 3rd" part of her protection goes away.

In your OP, at the moment of the obstruction near third and the ball already in the infield ... no sane umpire is awarding home. The runner is awarded 3rd, and protected between 2nd and 3rd (redundant in this case)... the play home, whether intervening or not, is simply a play on a runner who is beyond their award and outside their protection.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Isn't this a situation where the runner getting obstructed as she is "just shy of 3B" as the OP states grounds for considering the OBS happening between third and home? After all, if she was trying to round third to go home, the OBS prevented that.

And if that was the case, she cannot be put out at home. She would be returned to third if she's tagged out at home by a good margin.
If she was, indeed, obstructed while rounding, I can see protecting her between 3B and home. Otherwise, "just shy" is still between 2B and 3B.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post

A fair point if she was actually rounding.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
If she was, indeed, obstructed while rounding, I can see protecting her between 3B and home. Otherwise, "just shy" is still between 2B and 3B.
Yep.