The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

B/R Retreats Towards Home Playe

R2. Batter bunts. F3 fields bunt. Batter stops before being tagged. She then starts backpedaling to avoid being tagged.

Legal?
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

No. ASA 8-2-H. NFHS 8-2-8.

Last edited by Dakota; Thu May 08, 2014 at 12:46pm.
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

12.2.11 for NCAA
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
R2. Batter bunts. F3 fields bunt. Batter stops before being tagged. She then starts backpedaling to avoid being tagged.

Legal?
Batter stops before being tagged. -- Legal

backpedaling to avoid being tagged. -- INT
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Last year I called "TIME, That's interference!" I called the batter-runner out and put everyone back to the base they were on.

I later found out that I should have made them return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
...Last year I called "TIME, That's interference!"...(
Baseball?
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Baseball?
Legal in baseball. Only out if you retreat all the way to the plate.
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Legal in baseball. Only out if you retreat all the way to the plate.
I was referring to "TIME" instead of "DEAD BALL"!
Old Thu May 08, 2014, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

IIRC this was called either last year or the year before in the CWS. The batter-runner was trying to gain extra time for the runners advancing, and took a step back. The umpire called it correctly, ruling her out and moving everyone back to the base occupied at the time she took the step backwards towards the plate to avoid the tag.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
... moving everyone back to the base occupied at the time she took the step backwards towards the plate to avoid the tag.
Under NCAA Rules, the runners are moved back to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. (12.2.11 Effect) In the case of a run-and-bunt, the runner has quite possibly reached the next base at the time of the step backwards. I believe this ruling is unique to NCAA.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
Under NCAA Rules, the runners are moved back to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. (12.2.11 Effect) In the case of a run-and-bunt, the runner has quite possibly reached the next base at the time of the step backwards. I believe this ruling is unique to NCAA.
This is how I ruled. Even though I no longer do college softball, I will sometimes enforce their rules for ASA or high school. Lots of times my parner or the coach will inform me that I am applying the wrong rule fi they know the difference.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:24am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
Which is how it should be, and the other sanctioning bodies should follow suit. After all, the reason a BR would do this is to delay a play on her to let other runners advance. If one or more of those runners do make it to their next base(s) before the BR takes that step back, then the penalty doesn't really have the right effect.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Which is how it should be, and the other sanctioning bodies should follow suit. After all, the reason a BR would do this is to delay a play on her to let other runners advance. If one or more of those runners do make it to their next base(s) before the BR takes that step back, then the penalty doesn't really have the right effect.
I never really understood why this action is illegal in the first place. In every other place on the field, the runner can choose whatever base path she wants... forward, backward, wide arcs, whatever.

I do understand that she cannot retreat to home as a "base", but why is it illegal to retreat as part of any other base-running strategy or purpose?
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
If the BR action does not help the runner to reach a base ( to their next base(s) before the BR takes that step ); then why should the runner be penalized back to an earlier base?
Old Fri May 09, 2014, 09:54am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
If the BR action does not help the runner to reach a base ( to their next base(s) before the BR takes that step ); then why should the runner be penalized back to an earlier base?
Ummm, you know what? I didn't even think of it that way.

You're right, the NCAA has it all wrong.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker