The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

One more from yesterday.

My partner did a bat check yesterday prior to the game. All bats checked out as legal per my partner. After the games, I am walking through the dugout and accidently knock a bat off the bat rack. When I pick it up I notice the new "2013" ASA logo on the bat.

Is this a legal bat for HS Softball under Fed rules?
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
My partner did a bat check yesterday prior to the game. All bats checked out as legal per my partner. After the games, I am walking through the dugout and accidently knock a bat off the bat rack. When I pick it up I notice the new "2013" ASA logo on the bat.

Is this a legal bat for HS Softball under Fed rules?
No. Bats with the 2013 ASA Certification are legal only in slow pitch.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2014, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
No. Bats with the 2013 ASA Certification are legal only in slow pitch.

I will accept the no for HS ball, but the 2013 mark is for more than slow pitch now.

This is from the ASA Website.

"All bats in ASA Championship Play, except Seniors, must pass the ASA Bat Performance Standard. All bats having the 2000, 2004 or 2013(Slow Pitch, Men's Adult Fast Pitch, Junior Olympic Boy's Fast Pitch and Men's Modified Pitch ONLY)

Last edited by chapmaja; Sun Apr 13, 2014 at 09:20pm.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will accept the no for HS ball, but the 2013 mark is for more than slow pitch now.

"All bats in ASA Championship Play, except Seniors, must pass the ASA Bat Performance Standard. All bats having the 2000, 2004 or 2013(Slow Pitch, Men's Adult Fast Pitch, Junior Olympic Boy's Fast Pitch and Men's Modified Pitch ONLY)
If you knew this, why ask? As was stated by Esq and you, it's a no for high school ball. I'm surprised your partner or you didn't see it prior to this.

My question for you is, why were you going through the dugout after the game? Was that the only way out? Did you mention to your partner about the bat you found that he said was "legal"? Have you told your association that a certain school "may" have an illegal bat?

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

2013(Slow Pitch, Men's Adult Fast Pitch, Junior Olympic Boy's Fast Pitch and Men's Modified Pitch ONLY)

Which means not for JO Girls.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2014, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
If you knew this, why ask? As was stated by Esq and you, it's a no for high school ball. I'm surprised your partner or you didn't see it prior to this.

My question for you is, why were you going through the dugout after the game? Was that the only way out? Did you mention to your partner about the bat you found that he said was "legal"? Have you told your association that a certain school "may" have an illegal bat?
Technically this wasn't the dugout, it was actually the opening on that side of the field. The field has two openings, with the dugout to the left of the opening and the area behind the backstop to the right. The bats were hung right at the edge of the dugout, so when I cam around the corner carrying my mask, the mask hit it and knocked it down.

I did mention this to my partner and also contacted the school after verifying the situation and let the AD know that this bat was in fact not legal. Since this game was not assigned by an association, but an independent assignor, (they were the visiting team and are not normally assigned by this assignor), I did not let the assignor know.