The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Run Rule

Isn't it 15 after 3, 12 after 4, 10 after 5? What's the rule #?
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Its 10 after 5 unless your state has adopted something different. As for the rule number I cant find it at the moment.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 07:53am
Stirrer of the Pot

Rule 4-2-3 says in general that the state association may determine game-ending procedures. There is nothing in the rule book that I'm aware of that specifically provides a run-rule limit of 10 after 5 or anything else.

We do use 10 after 5 here in Virginia for regular season games, as well as district and conference tournaments, unless the district or conference council decides otherwise.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I could swear I have seen the run rule question on the FED test, but cannot find it in the rule book. Maybe it is by state adoption, but I could also swear our state bylaws state the run rule is per FED and is 10 after 5. Although a couple of years ago they did also adopt that after 4 innings if a team is down by 15 the losing coach can choose to end the game.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

It can also be up to the individual districts. I have a baseball game tonight in a district that has a couple of very weak teams. The district has a 15 after 3 rule in place for all district games.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:33am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I could swear I have seen the run rule question on the FED test, but cannot find it in the rule book. Maybe it is by state adoption, but I could also swear our state bylaws state the run rule is per FED and is 10 after 5. Although a couple of years ago they did also adopt that after 4 innings if a team is down by 15 the losing coach can choose to end the game.
I believe the FED Baseball rulebook talks about a ten-run rule, and maybe some officials carry that over to softball. And maybe there was something similar in an older version of the FED Softball book. I dunno. But under 4-2-3 in the current book, it makes no reference to an actual run limit.

Perhaps they did that to give states the widest latitude to come up with its own limits. I have done plenty of high school games where I wish we were using the 15/3, 12/4, 8/5 ASA's limits. When the score is already 22-1 going into the third inning, that fifth inning looks so far away......
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

In Kansas, 10/5 is by state adoption. Once playoffs start, 15/3 is also required by the state. At the pre-game conferences during the season, umpires are encouraged to state that run-rules for the game are 15/3 and 10/5. Only in the rarest of instances does a coach object to 15/3.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:50pm
Call it as I see it.

I work 2 sections in So. Cal.CIF has a 10 after 5 option for all section. San Diego Section uses it for all leagues. The southern Section it goes league by league so you have to know what league you have that day.
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Its 10 after 5 unless your state has adopted something different. As for the rule number I cant find it at the moment.
It took us a few years, but we finally got 15 after 3 added to the 10 after 5 in Florida. There are so many mismatches, it comes into play often.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken, Florida also uses the 1 after 7 rule.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Florida also uses the 1 after 7 rule.
Or 6 1/2 if home team is up!
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbuddy View Post
Now that you have had multiple responses, there is one correct answer.

There is no NFHS run-ahead rule. 4-2-3 clearly states that it is a matter for each state to adopt whatever rule(s) they wish for game ending procedures. As does the list of State Adoption options listed in the back of the rulebook. They suggest one option as an example, but stop well short of suggesting it as the best option. And if they don't adopt ONE, but leave it to local/regional/sectional jurisdictions to adopt(as in CA), then there is NO run-ahead rule in State tournament play. So, each state is, and will be, different. You need to ask what YOUR state has adopted.

My home state, Georgia, recognized that the suggested option of 10 after 5 was a carry-over from when NFHS was primarily slow pitch. As a result, we were able to have the ASA fastpitch run-ahead rule adopted for consistency with the expectations of most; 8 after 5, 12 after 4, 15 after 3. I can assure you that it was and still is favorably received by the overwhelming majority.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbuddy View Post
There is no run rule in NFHS. It is left up to the state associations to adopt one.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Now that you have had multiple responses, there is one correct answer.

There is no NFHS run-ahead rule. 4-2-3 clearly states that it is a matter for each state to adopt whatever rule(s) they wish for game ending procedures. As does the list of State Adoption options listed in the back of the rulebook. They suggest one option as an example, but stop well short of suggesting it as the best option. And if they don't adopt ONE, but leave it to local/regional/sectional jurisdictions to adopt(as in CA), then there is NO run-ahead rule in State tournament play. So, each state is, and will be, different. You need to ask what YOUR state has adopted.

My home state, Georgia, recognized that the suggested option of 10 after 5 was a carry-over from when NFHS was primarily slow pitch. As a result, we were able to have the ASA fastpitch run-ahead rule adopted for consistency with the expectations of most; 8 after 5, 12 after 4, 15 after 3. I can assure you that it was and still is favorably received by the overwhelming majority.
Well, I see I was beat to it once again. I should have read the entire thread before responding.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.