Thread: NFHS Run Rule
View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:33am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I could swear I have seen the run rule question on the FED test, but cannot find it in the rule book. Maybe it is by state adoption, but I could also swear our state bylaws state the run rule is per FED and is 10 after 5. Although a couple of years ago they did also adopt that after 4 innings if a team is down by 15 the losing coach can choose to end the game.
I believe the FED Baseball rulebook talks about a ten-run rule, and maybe some officials carry that over to softball. And maybe there was something similar in an older version of the FED Softball book. I dunno. But under 4-2-3 in the current book, it makes no reference to an actual run limit.

Perhaps they did that to give states the widest latitude to come up with its own limits. I have done plenty of high school games where I wish we were using the 15/3, 12/4, 8/5 ASA's limits. When the score is already 22-1 going into the third inning, that fifth inning looks so far away......
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker