The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 07:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 77
NFHS Run Rule

Isn't it 15 after 3, 12 after 4, 10 after 5? What's the rule #?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 07:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,340
Its 10 after 5 unless your state has adopted something different. As for the rule number I cant find it at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 07:53am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,377
Rule 4-2-3 says in general that the state association may determine game-ending procedures. There is nothing in the rule book that I'm aware of that specifically provides a run-rule limit of 10 after 5 or anything else.

We do use 10 after 5 here in Virginia for regular season games, as well as district and conference tournaments, unless the district or conference council decides otherwise.
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 09:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,340
I could swear I have seen the run rule question on the FED test, but cannot find it in the rule book. Maybe it is by state adoption, but I could also swear our state bylaws state the run rule is per FED and is 10 after 5. Although a couple of years ago they did also adopt that after 4 innings if a team is down by 15 the losing coach can choose to end the game.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:00am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 388
It can also be up to the individual districts. I have a baseball game tonight in a district that has a couple of very weak teams. The district has a 15 after 3 rule in place for all district games.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:33am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I could swear I have seen the run rule question on the FED test, but cannot find it in the rule book. Maybe it is by state adoption, but I could also swear our state bylaws state the run rule is per FED and is 10 after 5. Although a couple of years ago they did also adopt that after 4 innings if a team is down by 15 the losing coach can choose to end the game.
I believe the FED Baseball rulebook talks about a ten-run rule, and maybe some officials carry that over to softball. And maybe there was something similar in an older version of the FED Softball book. I dunno. But under 4-2-3 in the current book, it makes no reference to an actual run limit.

Perhaps they did that to give states the widest latitude to come up with its own limits. I have done plenty of high school games where I wish we were using the 15/3, 12/4, 8/5 ASA's limits. When the score is already 22-1 going into the third inning, that fifth inning looks so far away......
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: KS
Posts: 93
In Kansas, 10/5 is by state adoption. Once playoffs start, 15/3 is also required by the state. At the pre-game conferences during the season, umpires are encouraged to state that run-rules for the game are 15/3 and 10/5. Only in the rarest of instances does a coach object to 15/3.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 01:50pm
Call it as I see it.
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 323
I work 2 sections in So. Cal.CIF has a 10 after 5 option for all section. San Diego Section uses it for all leagues. The southern Section it goes league by league so you have to know what league you have that day.
__________________
"I couldn't see well enough to play when I was a boy, so they gave me a special job - they made me an umpire." - President of the United States Harry S. Truman
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Mar 21, 2014, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pace, FL
Posts: 653
Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Its 10 after 5 unless your state has adopted something different. As for the rule number I cant find it at the moment.
It took us a few years, but we finally got 15 after 3 added to the 10 after 5 in Florida. There are so many mismatches, it comes into play often.
__________________
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 08:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: East Central, FL
Posts: 1,042
If I'm not mistaken, Florida also uses the 1 after 7 rule.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 10:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scranton, Pa.
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Florida also uses the 1 after 7 rule.
Or 6 1/2 if home team is up!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sat Mar 22, 2014, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbuddy View Post
Isn't it 15 after 3, 12 after 4, 10 after 5? What's the rule #?
Now that you have had multiple responses, there is one correct answer.

There is no NFHS run-ahead rule. 4-2-3 clearly states that it is a matter for each state to adopt whatever rule(s) they wish for game ending procedures. As does the list of State Adoption options listed in the back of the rulebook. They suggest one option as an example, but stop well short of suggesting it as the best option. And if they don't adopt ONE, but leave it to local/regional/sectional jurisdictions to adopt(as in CA), then there is NO run-ahead rule in State tournament play. So, each state is, and will be, different. You need to ask what YOUR state has adopted.

My home state, Georgia, recognized that the suggested option of 10 after 5 was a carry-over from when NFHS was primarily slow pitch. As a result, we were able to have the ASA fastpitch run-ahead rule adopted for consistency with the expectations of most; 8 after 5, 12 after 4, 15 after 3. I can assure you that it was and still is favorably received by the overwhelming majority.
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbuddy View Post
Isn't it 15 after 3, 12 after 4, 10 after 5? What's the rule #?
There is no run rule in NFHS. It is left up to the state associations to adopt one.
__________________
Scott


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Now that you have had multiple responses, there is one correct answer.

There is no NFHS run-ahead rule. 4-2-3 clearly states that it is a matter for each state to adopt whatever rule(s) they wish for game ending procedures. As does the list of State Adoption options listed in the back of the rulebook. They suggest one option as an example, but stop well short of suggesting it as the best option. And if they don't adopt ONE, but leave it to local/regional/sectional jurisdictions to adopt(as in CA), then there is NO run-ahead rule in State tournament play. So, each state is, and will be, different. You need to ask what YOUR state has adopted.

My home state, Georgia, recognized that the suggested option of 10 after 5 was a carry-over from when NFHS was primarily slow pitch. As a result, we were able to have the ASA fastpitch run-ahead rule adopted for consistency with the expectations of most; 8 after 5, 12 after 4, 15 after 3. I can assure you that it was and still is favorably received by the overwhelming majority.
Well, I see I was beat to it once again. I should have read the entire thread before responding.
__________________
Scott


It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some help with NFHS rule kraine27 Football 3 Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:48am
Rule #2 NFHS DrMooreReferee Football 10 Wed Apr 18, 2007 09:44pm
Any rule changes in NFHS for 06-07? dsimp8 Basketball 1 Tue Oct 24, 2006 04:43pm
NFHS Rule 8-3-9 or 8-4-2 l3will Football 4 Wed Oct 12, 2005 08:45pm
NEW - 2003 NFHS Football Rule Changes (as written by the NFHS Rules Committee) KWH Football 27 Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:30am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1