View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 06:13am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
This was the text of the question as it was. I wasn't worried about the last part of D because that was the answer I chose and it was reported as incorrect.

I also noted the question didn't describe which direction the runner was going but this was a high school test.

Since I answered D and that was incorrect and like Manny says, it can't be b or c, that leaves A to be the correct answer.

But I can't find any casebook or rule to back that up.

Rita
Rita, all you really need is the language in rule 8-4-3b PENALTY c:

"When a runner, while advancing or returning to a base, is obstructed by a fielder who neither has the ball nor is attempting to field a batted ball, or a fielder who fakes a tag without the ball, the obstructed runner and each other runner affected by the obstruction, will be awarded the base or bases which would have been reached, in the umpire's judgment, had there been no obstruction."

In this scenario, R2 was never really affected by the obstruction, so she wouldn't get any base award here. She ran to third as runners are taught when a teammate gets into a rundown between third and home. The fact that R1 made it back to third safely puts R2 at risk, and she's going to be out on the tag unless the umpire judges R1 should be awarded home due to the obstruction.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker