The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

And again, if they didnt see your arm out, how the heck are they going to see you point?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

when my cup is on, its full of balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeump View Post
To who ? Most people are watching the ball ? Some times I put my left sock on my right foot, I know that it is not approved but that's just the kind of Umpire that I am. Not approved by the Umpire God's, yes I know. On this Forum it is easy to do a game, the timing is always perfect, the Rule book is never wrong, there is always time to get to the perfect spot, and best of all nobody just Kicks a call. The answer to the question is always easy, the big problem is my Spell Check working !!! The greatest part of doing a game on the Forum is my cup is never half empty.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
when my cup is on, its full of balls.
+1 Is that approved by the Softball Gods ? I like the idea while sitting here in my Chase Recliner talking Softball wearing my proper term (Athletic Supporter) ? And to make things even better I have my wife making my Drinks for me.. When you talk to NPF UIC Ed Whipple before you get your schedule, ask him about (The Point) ? GTG my wife is here with another drink.

Last edited by xtremeump; Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 05:39pm.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

back then, the gods did not wear cups. they just had their balls bronzed for hardness.

they didn't wear masks either. they had thick leathery faces and big hair doos to protect them. there was no approval for disapproval. it was all good.

what's the point with ed? is he a random premature pointer or non approved non pointer type?

Quote:
+1 Is that approved by the Softball Gods ? I like the idea while sitting here in my Chase Recliner talking Softball wearing my proper term (Athletic Supporter) ? And to make things even better I have my wife making my Drinks for me.. When you talk to NPF UIC Ed Whipple before you get your schedule, ask him about (The Point) ? GTG my wife is here with another drink.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
back then, the gods did not wear cups. they just had their balls bronzed for hardness.

they didn't wear masks either. they had thick leathery faces and big hair doos to protect them. there was no approval for disapproval. it was all good.

what's the point with ed? is he a random premature pointer or non approved non pointer type?
I addressed that in Post #9 if you want to take a look.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 10:54am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
Insane Blue is probably referring to 8-3-2 that states if a runner is obstructed, the umpire will award base(s) to negate the obstruction. The award will be at least one base past the last base legally touched on the runner that was obstructed.
Correct
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

nothing in your post 9 addresses this.

now, truth is, whipple is moonlighting. his day job is a pharmacist. apparently, he has an obsession about people abusing and squeezing toilet paper in his store. when this happens, he is known to point out the culprits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
I addressed that in Post #9 if you want to take a look.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
nothing in your post 9 addresses this.

now, truth is, whipple is moonlighting. his day job is a pharmacist. apparently, he has an obsession about people abusing and squeezing toilet paper in his store. when this happens, he is known to point out the culprits.
, there is no question of what happened.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
And again, if they didnt see your arm out, how the heck are they going to see you point?
WTF are you doing trying to apply common sense to a discussion?

The point is just a waste of time & effort with provides no additional information.

And the verbal, IMO, is just as ludicrous. I've never used a verbal where the players did not stop playing. The verbal, and it wasn't loud, did more to disrupt the play than anything else. That isn't what any action by the umpire should ever do.

IMO, these are just "ideas' that someone sold as a new and improved method of umpiring that provides nothing more than to bring attention to the umpire instead of just playing the game.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And the verbal, IMO, is just as ludicrous. I've never used a verbal where the players did not stop playing. The verbal, and it wasn't loud, did more to disrupt the play than anything else. That isn't what any action by the umpire should ever do.
I usually signal and say "obstruction at 1st" or "obstruction at short" or ...
I don't remember anyone stopping, except maybe the obstructer, but are you saying not to verbalize at all?

And I never point at anything except an awarded base.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

So when you use the "DDB" mechanic with the fist out to the side, do you run around the field and keep umpiring with your fist out or do you put it right back down?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
So when you use the "DDB" mechanic with the fist out to the side, do you run around the field and keep umpiring with your fist out or do you put it right back down?
As is taught at most clinics, you leave the arm out long enough for people to see that you ahve something, then drop it.

I do not run around the field like a one-winged chicken....
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I usually signal and say "obstruction at 1st" or "obstruction at short" or ...
I don't remember anyone stopping, except maybe the obstructer, but are you saying not to verbalize at all?

And I never point at anything except an awarded base.
IMO, if you feel impelled to verbalize it, do so at a low volume as to not draw attention, and I wouldn't point at an awarded base for the same reason I do not announce a base to which a runner is awarded.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
IMO, if you feel impelled to verbalize it, do so at a low volume as to not draw attention, and I wouldn't point at an awarded base for the same reason I do not announce a base to which a runner is awarded.

Please advise how players and a Coach is going to know where you are awarding the Obstructed runner to ? I know that the point is a Baseball Mechanic, an obstruction call must be verbalized, yes loud enough for the players involved to hear. If you protect a player to 3B and she is tagged out before she reaches 3B someone on the field had better say something ??

Last edited by xtremeump; Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 07:51pm.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Please advise how players and a Coach is going to know where you are protecting the Obstructed runner to ?
Do you mean awarded? My statement was general on awarded bases, but I should have stuck with the theme of the post (OBS). I would simply offer direction. On regular award, just announce the number of bases awarded. I would point only if I felt it necessary to be emphatic with the call or there was an indication of confusion among the players and coaches.

Quote:
I know that the point is a Baseball Mechanic, an obstruction call must be verbalized, yes loud enough for the players involved to hear. If you protect a player to 3B and she is tagged out before she reaches 3B someone on the field had better say something ??
In that case, I would. "DEAD BALL" and announce the OBS.

When NFHS pushed this mechanic, the first time I used it in a HS game, it wasn't that loud, but F4, F6, F5 and the runner all stopped and turned toward me for a call. Even the 3rd base coach turned and looked at me, ignoring her own runner.

A couple weeks later, damn near same thing happened and that is not the effect a DDB is supposed to have on the game. So, going forward, I made a conscientious decision to make sure my "verbal" could not be heard by anyone near the action.

People have a tendency to want every call to be punitive in some manner. OBS is not a punitive call, was never meant to be. While it is informative for the arm to go out, the coach really doesn't need to be aware of it as s/he should just continue coaching the plays that are taking place in front of them. And since many do not understand the rule and believe it is a "free pass", will just run their players out of protection thinking they have nothing to lose.