The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

what the heck? KC @ Oak 8-3-10

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | KC@OAK: Geren is ejected arguing a strange play - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I went and watched the archive of this inning.

He tagged the preceding runner who was turning to run off the field while still on the base(because he thought he was already out) and then he tagged the trail runner.

3B umpire correctly called the Trail Runner out. The Preceding Runner realized he was not out and tried to run home but the Home Plate Umpire called him out for being out of the baseline....so they huddle and change it to one out.

This looks like they kicked it big time. Am I missing something?

Joe

PS By the way, I do not have him "out of the baseline". He ran directly to home when they started to make a play on him.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Just saw the KC Archive...they had a better angle...the Preceding runner was tagged after he left the base...then the Trailing Runner was tagged. Why Bill Hahn called the Trailing runner out, I will never know.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Hahn called trailing runner out because he thought preceding runner was on base. PU called runner out for abandonment, not for running outside his baseline. After the crew got together, it was determined that the preceding runner was off of the base when tagged, hence trail runner allowed to stay at third.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Did HP call R3 out for OOB or abandonment?
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Did HP call R3 out for OOB or abandonment?
abandonment
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
Hahn called trailing runner out because he thought preceding runner was on base. PU called runner out for abandonment, not for running outside his baseline. After the crew got together, it was determined that the preceding runner was off of the base when tagged, hence trail runner allowed to stay at third.
If trail runner was left on 3b, then this is only plausible answer to what happened I can think of. Runner should not be called out for OOB because he was not OOB avoiding a tag. He was OOB because he was running to dugout because he thought he was out already.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2010, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

How would anyone know the Preceding Runner was not called Out of the Baseline? Did the umpires say so after the game? the pointing and gesticulating of the Plate Umpire made me thing it was Out of the Baseline. Maybe I am wrong about this.

Whether I am right or wrong, Bill Hohn changed a TAG PLAY after a conference? Since when do umpires huddle to discuss a tag? Which Umpire could have had a better view than Bill "Marlins Fan" Hohn? Without Slow-Mo, I do not see how any other umpire could have convinced him that the Preceding Runner was off the base...In real time, I thought the guy was still on the base, with Slow-Mo, I am pretty sure...but not positive that he was off the base.
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
How would anyone know the Preceding Runner was not called Out of the Baseline? Did the umpires say so after the game? the pointing and gesticulating of the Plate Umpire made me thing it was Out of the Baseline. Maybe I am wrong about this.

Whether I am right or wrong, Bill Hohn changed a TAG PLAY after a conference? Since when do umpires huddle to discuss a tag? Which Umpire could have had a better view than Bill "Marlins Fan" Hohn? Without Slow-Mo, I do not see how any other umpire could have convinced him that the Preceding Runner was off the base...In real time, I thought the guy was still on the base, with Slow-Mo, I am pretty sure...but not positive that he was off the base.
There is a picture on one of the forums that shows the preceding runner (Maier) is clearly off the base when tagged. It was when he had went past third base though, so I would think the trailing runner should be out for passing, and the preceding runner should be out on the tag. They royally screwed it up if you ask me.
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
There is a picture on one of the forums that shows the preceding runner (Maier) is clearly off the base when tagged. It was when he had went past third base though, so I would think the trailing runner should be out for passing, and the preceding runner should be out on the tag. They royally screwed it up if you ask me.
I see no passing in this video.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2010, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Passing?!?!?! Surely you're kidding. You would not call this passing if you saw this on the field, would you?

To be called out for passing a runner, you must be COMPLETELY past the preceding runner with respect to the base you're going to. Any overlap and you're still safe. WRTwhich base do you think the following runner was closer to than the preceding runner?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 11, 2010, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Passing?!?!?! Surely you're kidding. You would not call this passing if you saw this on the field, would you?

To be called out for passing a runner, you must be COMPLETELY past the preceding runner with respect to the base you're going to. Any overlap and you're still safe. WRTwhich base do you think the following runner was closer to than the preceding runner?
One of my first thoughts on seeing the video was that R3 had retreated past 3rd towards second while R2 was on third. After watching it again I decided it was movement towards the bench not second, but I definitely see where he's coming from.