The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Calling the tag plays at the plate

Seeing the positioning of the World Series PUs on tag plays at the plate leads to this question I have long wondered about - a question for the clinicians and heavy clinic attenders out there. I know that is baseball and this is softball, but still.

Basically, the PU tends to be positioned in foul territory between the first base line and the third base line extended. I think the position has a lot of merit, but there may well be a good reason that it is not used in the softball world.

Any thoughts from clinicians, etc? At least one inquiring mind would like to know.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
Seeing the positioning of the World Series PUs on tag plays at the plate leads to this question I have long wondered about - a question for the clinicians and heavy clinic attenders out there. I know that is baseball and this is softball, but still.

Basically, the PU tends to be positioned in foul territory between the first base line and the third base line extended. I think the position has a lot of merit, but there may well be a good reason that it is not used in the softball world.

Any thoughts from clinicians, etc? At least one inquiring mind would like to know.
Why do you think it's not used in the softball world? I try to be 3BL unless the play immediately comes home and is from the 3B side. (One note - what you're seeing is not his starting position, but his position after adjusting to a specific play.)

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Why do you think it's not used in the softball world? I try to be 3BL unless the play immediately comes home and is from the 3B side. (One note - what you're seeing is not his starting position, but his position after adjusting to a specific play.)
In regards to what is in the ( ). I have watched a substantial amount of MLB and very very rarely have I ever seen the PU standing in a position other than the position described in the OP for a tag play with the ball coming from the outfield or infield. The only time I have seen an umpire not in a position similar to that, is when the play comes from a behind the plate such as on a WP or overthrown ball.

Personally I don't like the way the MLB PU is positioned because I have seen to many cases where the umpire doesn't get a good view of the entire play due to positioning. Then again, I have also seen situations arise where the umpire doesn't see everything based on circumstances from the "softball" position either. I just feel too often the MLB PU has too much of the play coming right at them, rather and more of a side view of the play.
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

In MLB the only time the position of 1St base line extended is used is when there is a read of a Train Wreck Play !!! Or on a dead duck play.. As a PU in FP Softball we start at the POP and read the play. I find myself doing the same thing as Mike, move to 3Rd base line extended. You can see almost every angle from there. Sometimes you can even move into the infield and use the "Show me the ball" to get your call corect
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

You are always going to have different opinions.

Mine is that it is easier to move and adjust to a developing play from the back of the RHB than 3BL. I find that the 3BL relies on the runner to come in from an angle or the catcher reach for a tag. A runner with a straight-in slide, and/or a catcher using a drop and block will may block, but that's just me.

I like the ASA/NFHS starting point.....and that is all it is, a starting point. It isn't anything new. Umpires who don't understand that a starting point isn't anything more need to go to a school or clinic. Those who have been and still don't understand that either weren't paying attention, had a lousy instructor or just didn't care.
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Start at the point of the plate. Watch the actions of the catcher and the runner and track the flight of the ball. For on-line "clean" throws to the plate, go 1BL. For anything that causes the catcher to move from the plate or extend an arm to tag the runner, go 3BL.

As a general rule, if a player's body is going to diminish the quality of your view of the play, move so that you can see through the play, rather than into the body.
Old Sat Nov 02, 2013, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Start at the point of the plate. Watch the actions of the catcher and the runner and track the flight of the ball. For on-line "clean" throws to the plate, go 1BL. For anything that causes the catcher to move from the plate or extend an arm to tag the runner, go 3BL.

As a general rule, if a player's body is going to diminish the quality of your view of the play, move so that you can see through the play, rather than into the body.
I understand the general approach to be that described in the first paragraph. The "rule" in the second paragraph is what causes 3BL to be used, but I have never seen (WCWS, for example) umpires "over rotate" like the MLB umpires do, so I thought I would ask. Thanks for all the comments.
Old Sat Nov 02, 2013, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
I understand the general approach to be that described in the first paragraph. The "rule" in the second paragraph is what causes 3BL to be used, but I have never seen (WCWS, for example) umpires "over rotate" like the MLB umpires do, so I thought I would ask. Thanks for all the comments.
I think that some rotate around more if they think that the tag may end up getting applied in the back. I've seen what you are referring to number of times.