View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 31, 2013, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Why do you think it's not used in the softball world? I try to be 3BL unless the play immediately comes home and is from the 3B side. (One note - what you're seeing is not his starting position, but his position after adjusting to a specific play.)
In regards to what is in the ( ). I have watched a substantial amount of MLB and very very rarely have I ever seen the PU standing in a position other than the position described in the OP for a tag play with the ball coming from the outfield or infield. The only time I have seen an umpire not in a position similar to that, is when the play comes from a behind the plate such as on a WP or overthrown ball.

Personally I don't like the way the MLB PU is positioned because I have seen to many cases where the umpire doesn't get a good view of the entire play due to positioning. Then again, I have also seen situations arise where the umpire doesn't see everything based on circumstances from the "softball" position either. I just feel too often the MLB PU has too much of the play coming right at them, rather and more of a side view of the play.