The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Can't find a case play

Runner on 2nd. As the pitcher starts her delivery, the batter abruptly steps out of the batter's box (without calling time). The pitcher stops her motion and fails to pitch.

I know the ruling (No pitch and warn the batter)...

But I know this has been a case play somewhat recently and I can't find it. Any help?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Runner on 2nd. As the pitcher starts her delivery, the batter abruptly steps out of the batter's box (without calling time). The pitcher stops her motion and fails to pitch.

But I know this has been a case play somewhat recently and I can't find it. Any help?
I'm curious why you mentioned the runner on 2nd. It doesn't seem to do much to the play. Perhaps you meant to have her step off just before the pitcher finally stopped. In which case it is somewhat more interesting.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Closest case play I can find is 3-6-9. Penalty is to warn first time and restrict for second time. Coaches may be warned, restricted, or ej'ed depending on severity of the action.

Last edited by nopachunts; Mon Aug 19, 2013 at 04:32pm.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Speaking ASA

It is rule 6FP.10.E However, I wouldn't be too quick to blame the batter for a pitcher failing to continue the delivery.

There is no rule forbidding a batter to stay in the batter's box and this rule states the act must be obvious for the purpose of creating an IP.

Well, how can you warn a batter who just doesn't want to be near the plate/in the box when the pitch is approaching and is not violating any rules by stepping out?
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Speaking ASA

It is rule 6FP.10.E However, I wouldn't be too quick to blame the batter for a pitcher failing to continue the delivery.

There is no rule forbidding a batter to stay in the batter's box and this rule states the act must be obvious for the purpose of creating an IP.

Well, how can you warn a batter who just doesn't want to be near the plate/in the box when the pitch is approaching and is not violating any rules by stepping out?
NFHS is very clear on this. 7-3-1. I think that not having thought about it being different I very likely would have missed this one in an ASA game(*). So thank you for the response and thank you to the other Mike for starting the thread.
(*) Of course that pre-supposes that it happened, have you ever actually seen a batter step out abruptly as the pitcher is throwing?
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
NFHS is very clear on this. 7-3-1. I think that not having thought about it being different I very likely would have missed this one in an ASA game(*). So thank you for the response and thank you to the other Mike for starting the thread.
(*) Of course that pre-supposes that it happened, have you ever actually seen a batter step out abruptly as the pitcher is throwing?
With NFHS rule, why would a pitcher ever complete the delivery and risk a ball call? Of course, it could be a strike, but what are the odds if the action actually disturbed the pitcher?

Just weak coaching. The pitcher should always, ALWAYS follow through with the pitch. I've been hearing that since 1958 when I first started playing baseball. And I'll bet everyone on here has been told or heard the same thing.

So, why is there a rule covering for the pitcher?
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Mike, are you saying that if a pitcher started her delivery, and the batter stepped out ... then the pitcher, thinking time was called, failed to deliver the pitch --- you would call an illegal pitch?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike, are you saying that if a pitcher started her delivery, and the batter stepped out ... then the pitcher, thinking time was called, failed to deliver the pitch --- you would call an illegal pitch?
Not always by the rules, but my question is, why not? IMO, that is a sign of poor coaching. A pitcher, regardless of which game is being played should always finish a delivery once started. Heard it all my sporting life, is there any reason that should change?

And how do you determine it was "meant" to cause an IP? (ASA) If the pitcher starts his/her delivery and looks up and sees the batter just standing there an leaning on the bat, you going to call an IP if the pitcher doesn't deliver the ball? What if the batter is just standing there, bat on shoulder looking away from the pitcher? Gonna call that an IP if the pitcher doesn't throw the ball? Are you going to warn the batter every time a pitcher reacts to their presence or lack of preparedness? There is no rule requiring the batter to take a certain posture in the BB or to stay there once the pitcher starts the delivery.

Yes, we all know that this is something that you will recognize when you see it, but that is because many players can play better than act.

And what is it with the "hold up the hand" crap? Who cares? Since when it that anything more than a player holding up their hand? Even if you accept that as a request for time, it is to the umpire, not the pitcher, so why is it an issue even raised in the rule? That is as ambiguous as a "play" on an LBR anything to which the runner reacts.

No, I'm not saying I would or would not always call an IP, but I am certainly going to use some common sense when applying any portion of the rule IF I think it is necessary to apply it at all.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Referee Magazine, September 2003, p53
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
Referee Magazine, September 2003, p53
Does it cite a rule book or sanctioned interp? That's what we go by.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

The article is written for baseball.

No rule would apply, its informational for softball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With NFHS rule, why would a pitcher ever complete the delivery and risk a ball call? Of course, it could be a strike, but what are the odds if the action actually disturbed the pitcher?

Just weak coaching. The pitcher should always, ALWAYS follow through with the pitch. I've been hearing that since 1958 when I first started playing baseball. And I'll bet everyone on here has been told or heard the same thing.

So, why is there a rule covering for the pitcher?
The pitch is to be called a strike if delivered. Rule reads:

2. If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter
stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not
be an illegal pitch. However, if the batter steps out of the box or holds up
her hand to request time and the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall
be called a strike and the ball remains live. If a pitch is not delivered, a
rule has been violated by both the batter and the pitcher. The umpire shall
call time, declare "no-pitch" and begin play anew. If the umpire judges the
batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create an illegal pitch, the
umpire will penalize according to 3-6-9.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I'm not saying I would or would not always call an IP, but I am certainly going to use some common sense when applying any portion of the rule IF I think it is necessary to apply it at all.
But you are saying that by rule we either have to call an illegal pitch or rule an intentional attempt to draw an illegal pitch? Yes?
Maybe this is bad then but my sense is that when the batter requested time and I saw the pitcher stopping that I started to call time just before she violated. After all they had both stopped?
Now that you've opened my eyes to the rule I'm going to have to seek some local direction on this one.
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

YU has posted the NFHS rule... a clear case where their rule makes a lot more sense than the ASA rule, which seems to indicate there's no grey area between an illegal pitch and ruling the batter did it intentionally (with warning and ejection threats).

In NFHS (and every baseball ruleset), if the batter steps out and the pitcher stops, it's a no pitch. I believe that is the same in NCAA although my book was borrowed this weekend and I have not gotten it back.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 20, 2013, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I found the 2013 NCAA rule, 10.10.6, effect is a NO PITCH call and a warning.
Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post