The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: illegal pitches.
I agree. Maybe it's time for the rules folks/powers that be to take a long look at pitching and do a study of which actions really put batters at a disadvantage and which do not. I find it a bit of a stretch in many instances where some of those actions deemed illegal really make a difference. I could be wrong, but it has become such an issue it might call for consideration.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Re: illegal pitches.
I agree. Maybe it's time for the rules folks/powers that be to take a long look at pitching and do a study of which actions really put batters at a disadvantage and which do not. I find it a bit of a stretch in many instances where some of those actions deemed illegal really make a difference. I could be wrong, but it has become such an issue it might call for consideration.
Yes, some of the pitching rules probably need to be looked at, but the bigger problem is the umpires who pick and choose what they call. Or, the ones who call nothing and then we that do get yelled at because little Suzie has never been called in her life even though her drag foot is 2' off the ground. Not calling the rules as they are written, especially when the girls are younger is a real disservice to them. Sooner or later they are going to run into an umpire that is calling per the rule book and they wont be able to fix it, and usually it happens at nationals.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 08:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Yes, some of the pitching rules probably need to be looked at, but the bigger problem is the umpires who pick and choose what they call. Or, the ones who call nothing and then we that do get yelled at because little Suzie has never been called in her life even though her drag foot is 2' off the ground. Not calling the rules as they are written, especially when the girls are younger is a real disservice to them. Sooner or later they are going to run into an umpire that is calling per the rule book and they wont be able to fix it, and usually it happens at nationals.
Or in a state HS tournament final.

A girl, essentially, pitched sidearm the entire season. Nobody called anything all season. They get to state. Nobody calls IPs during the state semifinal game. They are blatantly obvious, even to this guy who doesn't work softball anymore.

Umpires are told to call it during the final. They call about 13 against the girl and the team gets hammered. Complete disaster. I felt for everyone, including the umpires told to crack the whip in a state final game (who did as they were told).
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Or in a state HS tournament final.

A girl, essentially, pitched sidearm the entire season. Nobody called anything all season. They get to state. Nobody calls IPs during the state semifinal game. They are blatantly obvious, even to this guy who doesn't work softball anymore.

Umpires are told to call it during the final. They call about 13 against the girl and the team gets hammered. Complete disaster. I felt for everyone, including the umpires told to crack the whip in a state final game (who did as they were told).
Pretty much the same thing happened in FL one year.

HOWEVER, I would be cautious about believing a coach who claims that "No one has called that all year."
I can't count the times I've been told that only to run into other umpires who have called the exact same illegal pitch.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Pretty much the same thing happened in FL one year.

HOWEVER, I would be cautious about believing a coach who claims that "No one has called that all year."
I can't count the times I've been told that only to run into other umpires who have called the exact same illegal pitch.
Better yet, I had a pitcher tell her coach that I was the umpire that called the same thing on her the week before.
Old Fri Aug 16, 2013, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Better yet, I had a pitcher tell her coach that I was the umpire that called the same thing on her the week before.
That's great, when the pitcher has to tell him (or her)!

I had one (during a HS Regional Semi) where I called the pitcher for stepping outside the 24....
As I was thinking "oh boy, now I gotta explain this", the catcher tells me "she gets that called that all the time".

Two pitches later she does it again, but this time the coach asks to talk to me and says, "I don't understand it, she's never done that before"
I just told her, "well, she's doing it now and it's illegal"

Coach took her out of the game... put in studdette number two and went on to win the game in 9 innings.....

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Fri Aug 16, 2013 at 04:24pm.
Old Mon Aug 19, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
That's great, when the pitcher has to tell him (or her)!

I had one (during a HS Regional Semi) where I called the pitcher for stepping outside the 24....
As I was thinking "oh boy, now I gotta explain this", the catcher tells me "she gets that called that all the time".

Two pitches later she does it again, but this time the coach asks to talk to me and says, "I don't understand it, she's never done that before"
I just told her, "well, she's doing it now and it's illegal"

Coach took her out of the game... put in studdette number two and went on to win the game in 9 innings.....
JUCO game a couple of years ago. Bottom of first inning, visiting team pitcher is taking a small step forward with her pivot foot before she pitches. I am BU, call like seven of these in a row, several of which were pounded for extra base hits and home runs. Coach and pitcher have no reaction at all. Bases empty, I call it again and walk over to the first base dugout where the V team is and tell the coach what I am seeing. Her response is "I know, she has done it all year and I can't get her to stop." I call about four more, then the coach comes out and replaces the pitcher.....