The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Infield Fly Rule

[ASA Mens Slow Pitch] Infield Fly is correctly called by the umpire. The runners take a few steps off their bases and the flyball is dropped. Do the runners have to return to their base before advancing?
Old Mon Aug 12, 2013, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

No different than any other uncaught fly ball, no need for the runners to retouch the base and may advance at own risk. Only difference is the batter is out and any possible force play is removed.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
No different than any other uncaught fly ball, no need for the runners to retouch the base and may advance at own risk. Only difference is the batter is out and any possible force play is removed.
The point of the rule is protecting the runners from double plays if the ball is NOT caught.

Last edited by CecilOne; Tue Aug 13, 2013 at 07:43am. Reason: NOT added
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
The point of the rule is protecting the runners from double plays if the ball is caught.
what? the point is proecting runners if the ball is intentially not caught
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
what? the point is proecting runners if the ball is intentially not caught
Correct, see editing.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Thank you. Is this in the rulebook?

At mlb.com, they define it this way:
"An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.
When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”
The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.
If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly."

My interpretation of the MLB rule is that the batted ball is treated like a caught flyball whether the ball is caught or not, so the runners must "retouch" their base before advancing. ASA rules could be different but I cannot find it in the book.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfield9 View Post

My interpretation of the MLB rule is that the batted ball is treated like a caught flyball whether the ball is caught or not, so the runners must "retouch" their base before advancing. ASA rules could be different but I cannot find it in the book.
I think " retouch and advance after the ball is touched" assumes a catch.

There is nothing in the SOFTBALL rules that says the runners must retouch/tag up after a non-catch. So they do not have to.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your interpretation of the MLB rule is incorrect.

This rule is the same for all baseball and softball rule sets. With respect to the runners tagging up or advancing, it is exactly the same as on any other batted fly ball.

You might not find a special rule that says when or how the runners can advance on an infield fly, because that is covered in the usual rules of when runners may advance on fly balls. In other words, there's not a special rule that's any different just because an infield fly was declared.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The important part of the rule you quoted, and the reason your interpretation is incorrect, is the words "the same as on any fly ball." Do the runners have to retouch on any other fly ball, if it's touched but not caught? No? Well, the IFF works "the same as on any fly ball."
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your interpretation is wrong.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I think " retouch and advance after the ball is touched" assumes a catch.

There is nothing in the SOFTBALL rules that says the runners must retouch/tag up after a non-catch. So they do not have to.
EXACTLY! On any other flyball, the runners do not have to retouch their base after the ball is touched (and dropped) by the fielder. But in the case of the IFF, they do. Otherwise, why would MLB say "retouch and advance after the ball is touched?"
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:48am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:

"An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.
When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”
The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.
If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly."

Something you highlighted is key--"the same as on any fly ball."

There's only one thing different concerning an IFF compared to other fly balls, and that's that the batter is out regardless if the ball is caught. Otherwise, it's a fly ball. No need for runners to tag up if the ball is dropped.

Trust me, you're hearing from umpires who have done this for many years. Give up the argument.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
EXACTLY! On any other flyball, the runners do not have to retouch their base after the ball is touched (and dropped) by the fielder. But in the case of the IFF, they do. Otherwise, why would MLB say "retouch and advance after the ball is touched?"
Do you agree that as soon as the batted ball reaches its apex in MLB, that the IFF rule is in effect? Of course you do. Now, carefully go back and read what you, yourself, posted:

"The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught...."

The ball is alive and the runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught. Notice there is no mention of tagging up or anything at this point, yet the IFF is already in effect. The rest of your citation in bold from the post I copied this from goes on to explain how a runner may advance if the ball is caught, which is, at first touch, if the runner has tagged up, they may now advance.

No need to complicate things.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 11:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If the ball isn't caught, the runner doesn't have to retouch. If the ball is caught, the runner must retouch on the TOUCH preceding the catch, which is what the rule is trying to say.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Point #1. This isn't a baseball board, just saying.
Point #2. Doesn't make any difference, to the best of my knowledgethe rule and it's application is universal.
Point #3. The portion in RED is reliant upon the first half of the sentence prior to the comma, the ball being caught.
Point #4. Again, ttbomk, in all cases, the IF ruling affects only two portions of the rules: a) it declares the batter-runner out, and b) instructs participants & umpires alike to ignore the Intentionally Dropped Ball rule. No other rule or the application of the rule is affected by an IF call.