The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
I think this is an editorial issue...I'm guessing that 5-7-b was written before time limits were ever written into championship play rules. Seems to me for years there was no mention of time limits in the rules but only in ASA code.

The fact that we begin using the tie breaker in the top of any inning after time has expired seems to indicate that regulation innings are over and we are now in an extra inning so each team now gets one DC per inning regardless of how many DCs they used prior to going into extras.

But it does say "seven innings" doesn't it?
It does, and you are correct about the time limits. Then again, at that point in time, it only applied to 10U & certain pool play. However, as money became the issue and a tournament would take as many teams as possible, the demand for fields and umpires increase while there were still so much time in a weekend. So, they obviously had to allot the time two teams could take.

I expect the clarification to be the easy way out and consider going to a TB as extra innings, but I contend that creates a possible advantage
to the team that uses or even misuses their conferences early by allowing one team up to 3 more conferences than the other. the 7 inning plus one per extra inning (not time) seems the only fair method, IMO.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It does, and you are correct about the time limits. Then again, at that point in time, it only applied to 10U & certain pool play. However, as money became the issue and a tournament would take as many teams as possible, the demand for fields and umpires increase while there were still so much time in a weekend. So, they obviously had to allot the time two teams could take.

I expect the clarification to be the easy way out and consider going to a TB as extra innings, but I contend that creates a possible advantage
to the team that uses or even misuses their conferences early by allowing one team up to 3 more conferences than the other. the 7 inning plus one per extra inning (not time) seems the only fair method, IMO.
One team can already get 3 more than the other, by using them in the first 7 innings and not having the other team use them. As long as they both play by the same rules I don't understand how it's an advantage.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Here in Chattanooga (ASA/USA 12A),the interp from Jimmy Derrick and Mike De Leo (co-UICs) is that when time limit expires before the 7th inning
A. Any unused DCs are gone
B. One DC will be allowed per inning.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
One team can already get 3 more than the other, by using them in the first 7 innings and not having the other team use them. As long as they both play by the same rules I don't understand how it's an advantage.
That is true, but you still used the magic inning number and all are still available for 7 innings. If the time limit cuts the innings short, those unused are no longer available should that DC need them.

Understand, if the clarification and/or rule change indicates that playing past the time limit starts both teams from scratch at one per inning, I'm okay with that.

I'm just saying as the rules stand, and I am presenting a reason why they should remain that way, there is no allowance for that interpretation.
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Here in Chattanooga (ASA/USA 12A),the interp from Jimmy Derrick and Mike De Leo (co-UICs) is that when time limit expires before the 7th inning
A. Any unused DCs are gone
B. One DC will be allowed per inning.
Our interp at the 10u/12uB Western National was the same.
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm just saying as the rules stand, and I am presenting a reason why they should remain that way, there is no allowance for that interpretation.
There is nothing in the book or published elsewhere that says otherwise.