The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Hate to say I told you so

One of the teams in my game last night had a cricketer. He asked me before the game if a glove was required and I told him no, but strongly suggested, as he was playing shortstop. He was adamant that he feels more comfortable going gloveless.

Third inning, line drive, shoulder height. Sprained index finger.

duh.
Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 07:45am
Stirrer of the Pot

I feel pretty confident saying that I will never see that in one of my games.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I understand that playing without gloves is somewhat common in the 16 inch SP game.

Here is a link to an article from a recent 16 inch tournament in AZ where the winning team played some of their games without gloves (except the pitcher).

Gloveless Chicago team Moist wins Donnelly tourney | chicago, team, donnelly - YumaSun
Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 01:55pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I understand that playing without gloves is somewhat common in the 16 inch SP game.
When I played intramural softball as a cadet at West Point many years ago, it was with the 16" ball. The only player allowed to have a glove was the first baseman.

Our company team made it to the championship game, and I was up with two outs in the last inning with the game-tying run on base. I hit a line shot that was destined for right field, until the first baseman, who was about 6'6" tall, jumped and snared it with his mitt.

I'm still miffed about it...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Here is a link to an article from a recent 16 inch tournament in AZ where the winning team played some of their games without gloves (except the pitcher).

Gloveless Chicago team Moist wins Donnelly tourney | chicago, team, donnelly - YumaSun
I grew up (in Chicago) playing 16 inch ball.
It wasn't till I was about 12 and played in a scout league (12" ball)that I even heard of using a glove..
Even pitchers didn't wear gloves.
An injury know as a "softball finger" where the finger get's jammed backwards and is sore for a few days.was fairly common.
First base may have been the toughest position as when Clincers are new, they are very hard.
As kids, however, we played with the same ball for so long it became very soft and was know as a "mush" ball.