The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
$400 to learn how to button hook just to watch a runner touch?

What advantage does button hooking provide when there is no play at the base? Stay outside and outa the way to watch the base touched.
If executed properly, no more or no less an advantage than staying outside....either one works just fine.

But it's the mechanic & coverage that ASA uses in their three-umpire system to cover the five situations (runner(s) on/base hit to OF) and their mechanic requires 3B to button hook inside the diamond.

The OP is about the poster going to an ASA Nat, working on his 3-man in preparation, and realizing that his execution on that particular coverage is not where he feels needs it to be and wants to improve on it. He obviously understands the importance placed on; and the expectation of proper mechanics by his tournament UIC and crew mates at the Nat.

Now the bolded part.."button hook just to watch a runner touch."
Depending how the play develops in any of the five runner configurations that has 3B button hooking inside the diamond, he will always have other responsibilities. "There's always a job to do", no matter which sanctioning body's mechanics are being used. That's just good umpiring.

Last edited by KJUmp; Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 05:00am.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

So he will do as he's told, or else he won't work, but he had to come here to ask how to do it when it could a been explained right on the spot.

$400 to be taught how to do it is BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
If executed properly, no more or no less an advantage than staying outside....either one works just fine.

But it's the mechanic & coverage that ASA uses in their three-umpire system to cover the five situations (runner(s) on/base hit to OF) and their mechanic requires 3B to button hook inside the diamond.

The OP is about the poster going to an ASA Nat, working on his 3-man in preparation, and realizing that his execution on that particular coverage is not where he feels needs it to be and wants to improve on it. He obviously understands the importance placed on; and the expectation of proper mechanics by his tournament UIC and crew mates at the Nat.

Now the bolded part.."button hook just to watch a runner touch."
Depending how the play develops in any of the five runner configurations that has 3B button hooking inside the diamond, he will always have other responsibilities. "There's always a job to do", no matter sanctioning body's mechanics are being used. That's just good umpiring.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

if that was the only expect of the game taught, you might have a simple point
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, I can only imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
if that was the only expect of the game taught, you might have a simple point
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
(Note to self: Attend an advance camp...)

Thanks much.
If you've never been, I'm sure that attending one would help your game.

However, relative to the awkwardness you're experiencing with the button hook at 3B....I think it's like a lot of 3-man coverage mechanics (any org's.); we simply don't get the opportunity to work 3-man often enough to be as sharp and precise in our movements as we are in the two-man system.

Over the last four years, with the the four sanctions that I work, about 10% of my FP games (10/12) every season have been in the three-umpire system. However, I've yet to have the opportunity to work any ASA three-man. As such I'm in no position to offer any suggestions as to how do it properly.....ASA wise. There are plenty of good ASA guys here on the board that can though, plus continue to work with your local UIC.

Good luck at your National

Last edited by KJUmp; Thu Jul 18, 2013 at 01:28pm.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh, I can only imagine.
You might be surprised who attended this year's camp as a guest instructor and consultant.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Amuse me. Surprise me. Tickle me silly.

Quote:
You might be surprised who attended this year's camp as a guest instructor and consultant.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 02:05pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Oh, I am not suggesting he should not follow orders.
I am suggesting we can be thinking umpires and consider better mechanics. Most that do have moved on.
So he will do as he's told, or else he won't work, but he had to come here to ask how to do it when it could a been explained right on the spot.

Wow, you sure do make some wild-ass assumptions about what I will and won't do. Do you even know me?

I asked what I thought was a simple question: How does U3 execute the button-hook as required by ASA mechanics? I got the answer. What I'm going to do or not do, whether I'm a robot or a thinking umpire, or how I spend $400 adds nothing to the discussion.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

You get a 'note' from her about 9 or so times a year.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I am not assuming about YOU, but I am assuming what will happen if you don't do as you are told at an ASA event, you will be sent home. So either you will do as told and work, or you won't and you won't work.

You suggested if you spend the $400 for the advanced FP camp, you will be shown correctly how to button hook in 3-man. It was explained right here and you got it for free. What's missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Wow, you sure do make some wild-ass assumptions about what I will and won't do. Do you even know me?

I asked what I thought was a simple question: How does U3 execute the button-hook as required by ASA mechanics? I got the answer. What I'm going to do or not do, whether I'm a robot or a thinking umpire, or how I spend $400 adds nothing to the discussion.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

DA?

Common, tell me, don't play me like that.

Quote:
You get a 'note' from her about 9 or so times a year.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
DA?

Common, tell me, don't play me like that.
He did.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Tells me so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
He did.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was explained right here and you got it for free. What's missing?
10 live real Tournament games all in the 3 man system while being critiqued by instructors like Kevin Ryan, Larry Montgomery, Riz, and several other outstanding ASA umpires.
Throw in all the food you could eat, video of said games, great camaraderie and hospitality to boot.

Makes for an informitive and extremly fun time!

To each is own I guess but I'm glad I did it as it would have took years to get that kind of hands on instruction and game action in the 3-man system....
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

You paid for that vs getting paid, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA Ump MN View Post
10 live real Tournament games all in the 3 man system while being critiqued by instructors like Kevin Ryan, Larry Montgomery, Riz, and several other outstanding ASA umpires.
Throw in all the food you could eat, video of said games, great camaraderie and hospitality to boot.

Makes for an informitive and extremly fun time!

To each is own I guess but I'm glad I did it as it would have took years to get that kind of hands on instruction and game action in the 3-man system....