The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   U3 Button-Hook (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/95553-u3-button-hook.html)

Manny A Thu Jul 18, 2013 09:07am

U3 Button-Hook

Sorry if this post sounds a little arcane, but I'm having trouble visualizing what ASA wants from U3 under three-man when it says U3 should button-hook inside the diamond on a base hit to the outfield. I went through some three-man training yesterday in prep for a National, and I was screwing things up left and right. :o

How is that button-hook executed? Does U3 go down foul territory, pivot 90 degrees into the infield in front of third base, and then button-hook to watch a runner touch third? Or does U3 go straight to the button-hook position through fair territory, similar to how U1 executes it?

I tried the latter, but I quickly realized that I could easily get into the runner's path as she was approaching third. So then I tried to wait to let the runner pass, and by then I felt I could get into trouble if there was a throw to third should the runner take too wide a turn.

Then I tried by going down foul territory, but that also seemed to take too much time, and I still felt I might get into the runner's path as she rounded the base.

The only time I really felt comfortable was when there were runners at first and third, and I didn't have a runner heading for the base. I would still go down foul territory and then come in. But I'm still unsure that's the "ASA School Solution" on how to execute.

Comments?

okla21fan Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:04am

Button hooking from either the foul side, or 'straight' to inside are exceptable depending on where the ball is hit, and how the runner from 2nd is approaching. Both are taught at advance camps (ASA).

Manny A Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:41am

(Note to self: Attend an advance camp...)

Thanks much.

shagpal Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:08am

$400 to learn how to button hook just to watch a runner touch?

What advantage does button hooking provide when there is no play at the base? Stay outside and outa the way to watch the base touched.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 900325)
(Note to self: Attend an advance camp...)

Thanks much.

okla21fan Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:14am

Because that is the prescribed mechanic. When in Rome theory at work here

Manny A Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 900328)
What advantage does button hooking provide when there is no play at the base? Stay outside and outa the way to watch the base touched.

That's what I did the first time a runner approached third on a clean base hit. And my association UIC who was providing the training said ASA wants us to button-hook on those. I checked the Umpire Manual, and sure enough that's what it instructs.

shagpal Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:25am

The downfall of an empire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 900330)
Because that is the prescribed mechanic. When in Rome theory at work here

Rich Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 900334)

Never mind the best place to make a call at third is from the outside, right? :D

shagpal Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:37am

Sometimes, other times no. It depends.

On the other hand, where is the best place to be when there is NO call?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 900337)
Never mind the best place to make a call at third is from the outside, right? :D

okla21fan Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 900334)

maybe so, maybe not. but if one chooses not to use the prescribed mechanics for what ever association (GB) they are working for, because they 'think it is ridiculous', does that umpire also pick and choose what rule set or individual rules they will enforce as well? Mechanics are put in place for a reason and if one umpire on the crew chooses to not at the very least, try to adhere to the mechanics, that brings the whole crew down as that umpire's partners now how to worry about where you are (or not) on the field, instead of worrying about their own positioning.

shagpal Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:00pm

Oh, I am not suggesting he should not follow orders. That is up to the individual receiving the orders, and the one giving the orders. We can always walk away from what doesn't make sense, or not depending on where one wants to be.

I am suggesting we can be thinking umpires and consider better mechanics. Most that do have moved on. In 3-man, and no chase, hooking only serves to setup your calling position. It doesn't affect rotation.

$400 is alot of games to learn NOT to think, be stuck in that mode, then having unlearn it later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 900339)
maybe so, maybe not. but if one chooses not to use the prescribed mechanics for what ever association (GB) they are working for, because they 'think it is ridiculous', does that umpire also pick and choose what rule set or individual rules they will enforce as well? Mechanics are put in place for a reason and if one umpire on the crew chooses to not at the very least, try to adhere to the mechanics, that brings the whole crew down as that umpire's partners now how to worry about where you are (or not) on the field, instead of worrying about their own positioning.

xtremeump Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 900322)
Button hooking from either the foul side, or 'straight' to inside are exceptable depending on where the ball is hit, and how the runner from 2nd is approaching. Both are taught at advance camps (ASA).

Let the play take you to your position, sometimes in, sometimes foul, and I also agree sometimes outside. Do not be a ROBOT, know the game and get to where you have the best angle for your calls without being in the way of the playing action. 3 man mechanics are great, do not be overwhelmed by everyone telling you that there is a perfect position all of the time. Sorry for the long post and I hope that I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. I did not do well in TIME OUT.

okla21fan Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 900341)
$400 is alot of games to learn NOT to think, be stuck in that mode, then having unlearn it later.

I guess the same can be said about going to one of the numerous 'NCAA assigner' camps When said assigners know full and well that 75% of the particiaptes well never sniff the close shop. ;)

xtremeump Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shagpal (Post 900341)
Oh, I am not suggesting he should not follow orders. That is up to the individual receiving the orders, and the one giving the orders. We can always walk away from what doesn't make sense, or not depending on where one wants to be.

I am suggesting we can be thinking umpires and consider better mechanics. Most that do have moved on. In 3-man, and no chase, hooking only serves to setup your calling position. It doesn't affect rotation.

Sorry, you and I must have posted at the same time. Good Post.

shagpal Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:37pm

I can't disagree about those camps.

One that ran the camps even admitted lamenting about the "camp whores", guys that come back year after year, not improving, hoping only to get games for time and money spent at the camp.

When it comes to those we shake our heads at, they are everywhere, not just at the bottom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 900347)
I guess the same can be said about going to one of the numerous 'NCAA assigner' camps When said assigners know full and well that 75% of the particiaptes well never sniff the close shop. ;)