The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:57am
Stirrer of the Pot

New ASA Shirts?

Speaking of ASA-logoed equipment, is there any truth to the rumor that ASA will have new shirts soon? I didn't see anything on the Official Gear website. But I attended an association meeting last night, and one of my colleagues said that there was a new ASA logo for the shirts and hats.

I need some new shirts, and I'd rather not buy any now if they're going to change next year.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

ASA has changed the logo and began selling shirts, hats, ball bags, and jackets with the new logo earlier this year.

The practice so far has been to sell out the remaining inventory of gear with the existing logo before shipping the new logo attire. The official position of ASA for the time being has been to allow either the new logo or the existing logo to be worn even if the partners do not match. It is allowable to wear a new logo hat and an existing logo shirt. This policy is even in effect for national tournaments this year. I strongly suspect that next year (2014), the new logo will be the required attire at any national tournament.

I have heard of umpires calling Official Gear and ordering uniform merchandise and requesting the new logo. If they cannot get the new logo, they cancel the order or return the merchandise. It just depends on what you want, specific sizes, and whether the person you talk to at Official Gear is willing to work with you.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Are they going red?

Can't let U-trip have all the fun confusing coaches... "Blue, uh, I mean Red..."
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
ASA has changed the logo and began selling shirts, hats, ball bags, and jackets with the new logo earlier this year.
Great, just great. More change for change sake. More shirts, ball bags, hats I'll never wear again.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
And I needed another shirt for National, but only S and 4X were avail in the new fabric.
So now another old fabric, old logo shirt with a short life.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:34pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Are they going red?

Can't let U-trip have all the fun confusing coaches... "Blue, uh, I mean Red..."
I do have one of the red shirts. It honors military veterans, and our association allows them to be worn on Fridays for even non-ASA-sanctioned events (e.g., Friday night high school games).
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:37pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I have heard of umpires calling Official Gear and ordering uniform merchandise and requesting the new logo. If they cannot get the new logo, they cancel the order or return the merchandise. It just depends on what you want, specific sizes, and whether the person you talk to at Official Gear is willing to work with you.
Yeah, I just called Official Gear to ask, and the representative did say they're exhausting what they currently have before they send out the new stuff.

I went ahead and ordered some shirts and hats to take with me to my National tournament in Florida next week, but will use them only if necessary (depending on how many games I do per day). If I manage to get through the tourney without using what I bought, I'll send it back to them if they still have the old logo.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Great, just great. More change for change sake. More shirts, ball bags, hats I'll never wear again.
any 'old' logo-ed gear is still acceptable for Championship Play
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:54pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Yeah, but for how long?
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

elbeco?

Quote:
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For now...
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For now...
I know of a few that still have and wear the 'old' circle ASA logo-ed ballbags in Championship Play. When it is time for you to get new shirts do to wear and teas, the new gear will be ready for you.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
elbeco?
I don't recall those being 'logo-ed'. I remember patches being added to them though
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The practice so far has been to sell out the remaining inventory of gear with the existing logo before shipping the new logo attire. The official position of ASA for the time being has been to allow either the new logo or the existing logo to be worn even if the partners do not match. It is allowable to wear a new logo hat and an existing logo shirt. This policy is even in effect for national tournaments this year. I strongly suspect that next year (2014), the new logo will be the required attire at any national tournament.

Am I correct that the new logo is very similar to the old ASA but has a white drop shadow added.
If not, I just wasted my $$ on 2 shirts and 2 hats. :-(
At least the pants don't have logos.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I ordered new shirts and hats for a state tournament back in April and everything ASA sent were in the new logo format.

I also found out that the hat sizes have changed. Majorly.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.