The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I think that some posters have posted good advice and correct rulings for long enough that when they post one can feel confident they are giving good advice.

And I think the opposite is true as well. I just hope the newbies and lurkers can tell the difference. The endless supply of completely and utterly incorrect advice from a couple of posters is becoming tiresome.
Fair point.

I'm just not a proponent of the practice of 'sham' conferences with my partner(s) just to appease a coach who disagrees with a call.

And yes, it's especially important that the newbies here when and how to properly go to your partner for help.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just hope the newbies and lurkers can tell the difference.
This room ain't that hard to read.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, NCAA says to go for help first; not blow the call and try to straighten things out later on.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Proof? Are you one of these people who just keep on throwing shit while screaming "roses" hoping that eventually, everyone will believe it is roses?

Opinions are not evidence of proof, right Puddin'?

I disagree with your opinion based on my 46+ years of experience in multiple games at multiple levels. I have always made the call first, even in 1966 when I was doing baseball & have never had a problem. As I've said before, response of the teams is usually that of appreciation of at least checking. And that was probably quite a bit before ASA decided to take that stance, so this isn't a following the leader thing.
Learn to read. I'm not talking about opinions expressed when the question is raised whether to ask first and try to sort out the shit storm later. The point I raised is that multiple people bring this up every year. And the people who bring it up are always those who didn't think things went as smoothly as they could have and are seeking opinions and advise.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

It looks like the clones (not referring to anyone in particular so please safe your demerits) are demonstrating their vulnerability here.

There are umpires from all walks of life disagreeing with them and no despite the number of valid points brought up, they reject them all.

Considering not all associations even agree on the issue, it makes the "It's ASA's way or the highway" argument even weaker.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
There is no requirement that the PU wait to be asked to go for help on a checked swing. The PU can initiate a request on his/her own.

I have been taught and I teach that with a check swing not initially called a strike and U3K situation, go for help immediately, don't wait to be asked.

Nah, it would make so much more sense to wait a while, let R3 from third score the tieing run while the BR does go because she only heard "ball." Wait a few more seconds, then ask for help, get the ol' yes she swung, as the catcher tags her out.

Sorry coach, line 'em up.

Wouldn't that make so much more sense? Just ask a clone!
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 05:07am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
There is no requirement that the PU wait to be asked to go for help on a checked swing. The PU can initiate a request on his/her own.

I have been taught and I teach that with a check swing not initially called a strike and U3K situation, go for help immediately, don't wait to be asked.
That's what I would do as well. But is that the ASA "approved solution"? Or do they teach the PU has to wait until someone requests that he/she go to his/her partner first?

There should be some consistency here. Either we always make the call first, or we always leave the door open to ask for help before making that call if need be. We subject ourselves to criticism if we can go for help without being asked on the checked swing, but we don't go for help without being asked on a potential pulled foot/swipe tag.

But that's just my opinion. When in Rome...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Actually, NCAA says to go for help first; not blow the call and try to straighten things out later on.
Probably where my earlier confusion came from.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nah, it would make so much more sense to wait a while, let R3 from third score the tieing run while the BR does go because she only heard "ball." Wait a few more seconds, then ask for help, get the ol' yes she swung, as the catcher tags her out.

Sorry coach, line 'em up.

Wouldn't that make so much more sense? Just ask a clone!
Except that's not the teaching at the clone schools I've been to. On a D3K check swing, PU should ask for help immediately ... for exactly the reason that you would think they should.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
We subject ourselves to criticism if we can go for help without being asked on the checked swing, but we don't go for help without being asked on a potential pulled foot/swipe tag.
1) So what? We subject ourselves to criticism when we walk on the field. If we are umpiring to avoid controversy, we are not umpiring.
2) No we don't. Two completely different situations; two completely different reasons for the mechanic.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Except that's not the teaching at the clone schools I've been to. On a D3K check swing, PU should ask for help immediately ... for exactly the reason that you would think they should.
I hoped he was being facetious.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that how you interpret page 33 of the 2013 manual?
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Yes. Attend any NCAA camp, that is exactly how it is interpreted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Is that how you interpret page 33 of the 2013 manual?
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
Yes. Attend any NCAA camp, that is exactly how it is interpreted.
I have, and let's just say that it was never discussed.

Mostly, this play, in an of itself, is a very, very very very low chance possibility in the eyes of the manual. The manual is designed for 3 umpire system (even removing the two umpire mechanics in 2013), and a base umpire will never be in this situation.

I actually had another point about this. In a former version of the manual (2012 and prior), it did allow an umpire can go for help on his or her own, however, you do this at the conclusion of the play (or you kill the play).
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

This exact play has been discussed over and over, and beaten to death.

On a simple call, like a swipe tag or a pulled foot, do not wait. Go immediately and directly to your partner openly and ask aloud yes or no, and by openly, I mean out in the open, no conference, no calling dead ball to get help. Then make the call, and the coach cannot come out to ask you to ask for help, because you already did, just like on a check swing. One caveat, word the question so that if your partner cannot help or is blocked, he will default to answer NO.

If your partner cannot help, he simply answers no, and end of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
I have, and let's just say that it was never discussed.

Mostly, this play, in an of itself, is a very, very very very low chance possibility in the eyes of the manual. The manual is designed for 3 umpire system (even removing the two umpire mechanics in 2013), and a base umpire will never be in this situation.

I actually had another point about this. In a former version of the manual (2012 and prior), it did allow an umpire can go for help on his or her own, however, you do this at the conclusion of the play (or you kill the play).