The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
bat hitting ball - maybe

One I probably missed, now looking for whether what I think makes sense and, if so, how to avoid the problem.

Righty batter, batted ball, grounder, dribbling up 1st base line, BR safe at 1st.
After play, DC says the bat hit the ball after being dropped. As PU, I did not see that or see any change of direction.
This was a case where the coach was so convincing and others in dugout (1st side) were so sure that I now will concede that I probably missed it.

Afterward, given the timing and direction, I think the BR blocked my view as she started to 1st.
Does that make sense?
Have you had the same problem?
Is there a solution?
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

There will always be times that we are blocked or straight lined. Our job, with positioning and mechanics, is to minimize those times. You've learned how to make adjustments on plays on the bases to minimize those times there. Do the same here.

On a slow dribbler, you know you aren't going to need to rush out of the box and up the line quite so quickly. Adjust your exit from your starting position on short hits so that you can see the ball. Step to the right instead of around the catcher if that's what it takes to see the ball as it goes up the line. The bat is not the only thing you need to watch for - if the ball's on the line and the batter is running by it, you need to be able to see if it hits the batter and whether it's fair or foul when it does so.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
you need to be able to see if it hits the batter and whether it's fair or foul when it does so.
Probably what I was focused on.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
On a slow dribbler, you know you aren't going to need to rush out of the box and up the line quite so quickly. Adjust your exit from your starting position on short hits so that you can see the ball. Step to the right instead of around the catcher if that's what it takes to see the ball as it goes up the line..
Something I will try when I get the chance. I guess just getting out further would help angle.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

This one falls under the "just move on" category. There are times where no matter how good your positioning is, you and your partner don't see what the coaches/fans "see". It happens. They may be right. They may not be. If you or your partner didn't go immediate dead ball, then it's time to move on. "You may be right coach, but since my partner or myself didn't see it, I have to stick with the call".
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Exit RIGHT instead of LEFT of the catcher. Be sure to watch traffic while you exit, the catcher will be going that way too, but you will see that ball much better exiting unconventional of ASA mechanic.

Last edited by shagpal; Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 01:08am.