The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
Yes. Attend any NCAA camp, that is exactly how it is interpreted.
Sorry, no. There isn't universal acceptance of that method, even among the SUP and recent D1 WCWS umpires. If there was, it would be clearly stated, in the manual, or in a written directive on the Central Hub. And the cited paragraph wouldn't include the caveat that the partner be in a credible position if it were universal.

I listened just this week to open give-and-take (off the record, at a sports bar, with adult beverages) supporting both positions between a current SUP member, a former SUP member (mentioned earlier in this thread), several multi-year (and including the most recent years) WCWS umpires, a D1 coordinator, and other highly regarded clinicians in several conversations. Better than a camp, IMO; this was the camp evaluators interacting as equals, and obviously disagreeing on a tricky topic.

There was no consensus that I heard, other than both positions have merit, in some cases, (agreed) one may have more merit than the other most often, but neither is totally best all the time. The personal opinions and preferences indicated were strongly stated on both sides; and some had obviously mixed feelings. If there is to be a final word, that individual wasn't present this year. I suspect there will NOT be a written directive for one or the other; rather, the continued expectation and option that thinking umpires will use what works best in a specific situation.

Again, and as most often is the case, ASA does NOT want adapted situational mechanics, and will continue to direct the preference of the current Director and Supervisor of Umpires as the one way to handle going for help.

Frankly, I find it absurd that a discussion of alternate mechanics that aren't anywhere near as absolute as one/some might suggest would degrade to this level of insult and personal disrespect. Thanks for suggesting your preferences and supporting your reasoning; let's leave it there, please.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Thank you Emily.

This is for BU in the C, two-man, for simple plays, a pulled foot, or straightlined swipe tag clearly before reaching first, Not for situations that are complex and require more than yes no reply, which requires a conference.

Its not for all plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Sorry, no. There isn't universal acceptance of that method, even among the SUP and recent D1 WCWS umpires. If there was, it would be clearly stated, in the manual, or in a written directive on the Central Hub. And the cited paragraph wouldn't include the caveat that the partner be in a credible position if it were universal.

I listened just this week to open give-and-take (off the record, at a sports bar, with adult beverages) supporting both positions between a current SUP member, a former SUP member (mentioned earlier in this thread), several multi-year (and including the most recent years) WCWS umpires, a D1 coordinator, and other highly regarded clinicians in several conversations. Better than a camp, IMO; this was the camp evaluators interacting as equals, and obviously disagreeing on a tricky topic.

There was no consensus that I heard, other than both positions have merit, in some cases, (agreed) one may have more merit than the other most often, but neither is totally best all the time. The personal opinions and preferences indicated were strongly stated on both sides; and some had obviously mixed feelings. If there is to be a final word, that individual wasn't present this year. I suspect there will NOT be a written directive for one or the other; rather, the continued expectation and option that thinking umpires will use what works best in a specific situation.

Again, and as most often is the case, ASA does NOT want adapted situational mechanics, and will continue to direct the preference of the current Director and Supervisor of Umpires as the one way to handle going for help.

Frankly, I find it absurd that a discussion of alternate mechanics that aren't anywhere near as absolute as one/some might suggest would degrade to this level of insult and personal disrespect. Thanks for suggesting your preferences and supporting your reasoning; let's leave it there, please.