The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
First play, line drive to CF. CF appears to catch the ball (very close), but it is ruled no catch. Throw comes in to 1B (who is touching 1b on the catch). Batter-Runner has reached first base, but then steps off 1b back towards home plate/dugout. No tag is applied and she then takes the step back onto 1b. Umps ruled no catch, and no out at 1b.

My take on this, using ASA's rules (not NCAA since I don't have that book), is that since she had touched 1b, she is now a runner, not a batter-runner. Since no tag was applied, there is no out.

Florida's coach came out arguing that she should have been out (the announcers seemed to think it was because of what happened at 1b, but I think it was the catch-no catch.
So, should the batter-runner have been called out for abandoning first base?
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2third View Post
Finally, is K zone off, is it just me, or are the zones of all the umpires wider than it should be on the outside corner?
I have questions. Is that "small ball" supposed to represent the center of the softball? The seam of the ball is what is relevant in calling a corner, not anything else, so if it is the center, the "small ball" is irrelevant and misleading.

And how far off the plate does that gap between the edge of the plate and the "small ball" represent?

My understanding (Steve may be able to correct this) is that K-Zone at last year's WCWS was somewhat embarrassing to NCAA umpiring with so many (apparently) wide strikes being called. Thus, there was a major emphasis this year on tightening up the corners. I have not seen much difference this year though.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
All the talk about another game, bases loaded, a shot down 3B line and U3 directly to the edge of the warning track forcing the PU to possiblye work around the catcher, the advancing runner, F5 at the base, but she stayed in foul territory away from the line to make the correct call from 120+ feet away.

She barely had time to get her mask off, but made the correct call and then looked toward the 1B coaches box as she knew she was going to get a visit from the coach.

To me, if you have an umpire on the line, that is a case where that BU always turns and takes the ball. I have no idea why this guy ran away from the play, but I would not prescribe this.
I was baffled by this one, U3 got caught sleeping? It appeared PU was not in position to make the foul call, but had to for the bail out of U3.
Though, It appeared from the replay camera the ball may have touched the line.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, that end really brings up the "about to receive" still in effect in NCAA softball.
That was most definitely obstruction.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
I have questions. Is that "small ball" supposed to represent the center of the softball? The seam of the ball is what is relevant in calling a corner, not anything else, so if it is the center, the "small ball" is irrelevant and misleading.

And how far off the plate does that gap between the edge of the plate and the "small ball" represent?

My understanding (Steve may be able to correct this) is that K-Zone at last year's WCWS was somewhat embarrassing to NCAA umpiring with so many (apparently) wide strikes being called. Thus, there was a major emphasis this year on tightening up the corners. I have not seen much difference this year though.
My understanding is that last year's WCWS umpires were told to tighten the zone and make sure that a good potion of the ball was over the plate in order to call a strike. Thanks to ESPNs K-Zone.

Completely contradictory to what the umpires call and is taught all year...
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
All the talk about another game, bases loaded, a shot down 3B line and U3 directly to the edge of the warning track forcing the PU to possiblye work around the catcher, the advancing runner, F5 at the base, but she stayed in foul territory away from the line to make the correct call from 120+ feet away.

She barely had time to get her mask off, but made the correct call and then looked toward the 1B coaches box as she knew she was going to get a visit from the coach.

To me, if you have an umpire on the line, that is a case where that BU always turns and takes the ball. I have no idea why this guy ran away from the play, but I would not prescribe this.
I did not see that play, so having trouble visualizing it.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I did not see that play, so having trouble visualizing it.
Then go to ESPN3 and watch the replay. Believe it is around the 2:31:00 mark (7th inning)