The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Florida-Nebraska

There were a couple of close calls in this game.

First play, line drive to CF. CF appears to catch the ball (very close), but it is ruled no catch. Throw comes in to 1B (who is touching 1b on the catch). Batter-Runner has reached first base, but then steps off 1b back towards home plate/dugout. No tag is applied and she then takes the step back onto 1b. Umps ruled no catch, and no out at 1b.

My take on this, using ASA's rules (not NCAA since I don't have that book), is that since she had touched 1b, she is now a runner, not a batter-runner. Since no tag was applied, there is no out.

Florida's coach came out arguing that she should have been out (the announcers seemed to think it was because of what happened at 1b, but I think it was the catch-no catch.

The next play, latter in the same inning. Flyout to center. CF throws home late to try getting the runner tagging, but it is late. Catcher throws to 2nd, attempting to get the runner tagging from 1b. When this happens, the runner from 3b starts home and is in a rundown. the 3b dives, tags the runner on the upper leg, continues to the ground where the 3b's glove contacts the runners foot and the ball comes out. The runner slides home, thinking she is out, but since the ball came out, she is ruled safe. There was a distinct separate touch between the initial tag and the tag on the foot that caused the ball to come out, but they were all part of the same diving tag attempt. The ball was still held after the first touch, but came out on the second touch when the heel came up and hit the glove. No argument was made over this by Florida, who was pretty much in disbelief they gave up a 4 run lead and the game went into extra innings.
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
There were a couple of close calls in this game.

First play, line drive to CF. CF appears to catch the ball (very close), but it is ruled no catch. Throw comes in to 1B (who is touching 1b on the catch). Batter-Runner has reached first base, but then steps off 1b back towards home plate/dugout. No tag is applied and she then takes the step back onto 1b. Umps ruled no catch, and no out at 1b.

My take on this, using ASA's rules (not NCAA since I don't have that book), is that since she had touched 1b, she is now a runner, not a batter-runner. Since no tag was applied, there is no out.

Florida's coach came out arguing that she should have been out (the announcers seemed to think it was because of what happened at 1b, but I think it was the catch-no catch.

The next play, latter in the same inning. Flyout to center. CF throws home late to try getting the runner tagging, but it is late. Catcher throws to 2nd, attempting to get the runner tagging from 1b. When this happens, the runner from 3b starts home and is in a rundown. the 3b dives, tags the runner on the upper leg, continues to the ground where the 3b's glove contacts the runners foot and the ball comes out. The runner slides home, thinking she is out, but since the ball came out, she is ruled safe. There was a distinct separate touch between the initial tag and the tag on the foot that caused the ball to come out, but they were all part of the same diving tag attempt. The ball was still held after the first touch, but came out on the second touch when the heel came up and hit the glove. No argument was made over this by Florida, who was pretty much in disbelief they gave up a 4 run lead and the game went into extra innings.

They just showed the replay again, I didn't see, but one attempt to tag and the ball came out immediately. Maybe catch in slow motion later
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

WOW! Talk about a lousy position to see a call.

U3 on 3B side of 2B, almost at a 1B-2B line extended trying to get a peek at a touch of 2B. I don't think he saw it, but he didn't have the angle to see the miss by F4.
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Oh my, play @ 1B, F3 clearly trapped the ball. Everyone must be getting tired as no one even complained about that one
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Really interesting. The game stream on ESPN3 live and 8 seconds ahead of the ESPN TV presentation
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Well, that end really brings up the "about to receive" still in effect in NCAA softball.
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, that end really brings up the "about to receive" still in effect in NCAA softball.
Got nothing to do with the rule. Sorry Mike. Contact before the ball arrives = OBS in every code I know of.
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

She definitely blocked 3rd base and contact happened, before the ball arrived.

Last edited by Scooby; Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 12:12am.
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction

Even with the about to receive, I think we have obstruction at third on the last play. "The defensive player must be in the process of catching the ball and not merely positioning, waiting for a throw to arrive." Also just reviewed the about to receive part of the clinic on the SUP web site. The ball was NOT between the defensive player and the runner.

Now on the no touching of the bag at second, What would be the right move to get into position for that call? The ball was hit right at the umpires pre-pitch position. So, I think appropriately, he moves to the backside of second. Now out of position to see the foot, especially with the collision of shortstop and second baseman. I guess he could have tried to widen up, but tough with the ball coming at you.

Finally, is K zone off, is it just me, or are the zones of all the umpires wider than it should be on the outside corner?

Last edited by first2third; Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 12:15am. Reason: spelling
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2third View Post
Finally, is K zone off, is it just me, or are the zones of all the umpires wider than it should be on the outside corner?
No, I do not think that the K Zone is off. That pitch is easy for an umpire to call a strike. The catchers and pitchers want it and it is hard for the offensive coach to argue. It looks like a hitable pitch.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
No, I do not think that the K Zone is off. That pitch is easy for an umpire to call a strike. The catchers and pitchers want it and it is hard for the offensive coach to argue. It looks like a hitable pitch.
So because it is "easy" to call and "catchers and pitchers want it", th question is should it be called?
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2third View Post
So because it is "easy" to call and "catchers and pitchers want it", th question is should it be called?
No, the question was is the K Zone off?
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Nebraska ran the bases stupidly several times and played poor defense. The right team won.

"About to receive" looked close enough to me. Why was thunderfoot running toward the ball with two outs?
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Got nothing to do with the rule. Sorry Mike. Contact before the ball arrives = OBS in every code I know of.
No doubt, but if the ATR wasn't in effect, I don't think there would have been a question.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

All the talk about another game, bases loaded, a shot down 3B line and U3 directly to the edge of the warning track forcing the PU to possiblye work around the catcher, the advancing runner, F5 at the base, but she stayed in foul territory away from the line to make the correct call from 120+ feet away.

She barely had time to get her mask off, but made the correct call and then looked toward the 1B coaches box as she knew she was going to get a visit from the coach.

To me, if you have an umpire on the line, that is a case where that BU always turns and takes the ball. I have no idea why this guy ran away from the play, but I would not prescribe this.