Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

can't get games

Got a big problem.

I accepted a set of summer games (non-NFHS) under the conditions I'd do them only if the league/teams involved were registered with this same well-known summer national softball association that I umpire for in order to be eligible for umpire liability insurance if something bad happens and I get sued. The assigner said my umpire liability insurance with this well-known national summer time softball association (not saying which one) will cover me. I believed his sincerity but in reality I did not believe him. The assigner is also in the management ranks of this same well-known national summer time softball assocation which makes matters worse as you'll read below.

I accepted to do the games in the meantime and I told the assigner I'd do my own research to confirm whether umpire liability coverage is in effect for teams/leagues not registered with this well-known summer time national softball association that I have a umpire license with.

***-24 hours passes and for whatever reason, I'm thinking I accepted the games conditionally. The assigner thinks I accepted them unconditionally, but with the option of cancelling out on games with reasonable lead times. There's email proof that favors the assigner and not me. But keep in mind, what's at stake here -- me umpiring an unsanctioned game(s).

One the day of my first set of games I get a phone call from some coach confirming my arrival and had to inform him I did not accept the games.

I emailed the assigner within 10 minutes of refusing the games. The assigner emails me back minutes later saying in so many words (not exact) that I gave no warning and that he'll be taking me off of his assigning list.

I then did some phone calls / emails over the next few days to the underwriter insurance company that covers umpire liability insurance for the summer time assocation, and I email and phone the state umpire chief for this well-known summer time association. BOTH parties said I was NOT covered.

I emailed my assigner and told him I would not have been covered in those games if something bad happened.

Now, I can't get future games. I notified the local umpire president who is above this assigner person and the president says back to me in an email "I gave bad customer service" to the teams.

I spent a lot of time and money getting ready for this and now I can't get games. Should I get an attorney and sue the people in charge locally of this well-known national summer time softball association (again not going to reveal the assocation)?

I'm thinking the punishment doesn't fit the crime. I was joyfully sold into taking a set of uninsured games with the assigner telling me in error I was covered (his BIG TIME fault). I stupidly accepted the games under the understanding I would check on the umpire liability status, which is something the assigner should have known -- doing his job for him.

What should I do? I have an uniform, umpire training, equipment, but no games.