The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

From another board.

I read this discussion on another board, and the associated umpire bashing.

Batter hits a ground ball. The throw to 1b is in time and F3 has her foot on the bag. She catches the ball, and then tried to tag the B-R. As she applies the tag, the contact causes the ball to come loose. The umpire calls the runner safe.

My opinion is this depends on a factor not listed in the description.

If F3 catches the ball and then makes a seperate and deliberate attempt to tag the player, after having secured possession of the ball with a foot on the base, I have an out at first. If the ball is caught, but in the process of catching the throw the player immediately reaches to tag the runner while still catching the ball I have a dropped thrown and a safe runner.

I am basing this on the definition of a catch, rule 2-9 A2 and 2-9-5b.

What do others think about this play. It's tough to comment about the play in question because the element of time is not present. Was the tag and drop immediate, or did F3 catch the ball, take a step towards the B-R coming down the line, then tag her and drop the ball.
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I read this discussion on another board, and the associated umpire bashing.

Batter hits a ground ball. The throw to 1b is in time and F3 has her foot on the bag. She catches the ball, and then tried to tag the B-R. As she applies the tag, the contact causes the ball to come loose. The umpire calls the runner safe.

My opinion is this depends on a factor not listed in the description.

If F3 catches the ball and then makes a seperate and deliberate attempt to tag the player, after having secured possession of the ball with a foot on the base, I have an out at first. If the ball is caught, but in the process of catching the throw the player immediately reaches to tag the runner while still catching the ball I have a dropped thrown and a safe runner.

I am basing this on the definition of a catch, rule 2-9 A2 and 2-9-5b.

What do others think about this play. It's tough to comment about the play in question because the element of time is not present. Was the tag and drop immediate, or did F3 catch the ball, take a step towards the B-R coming down the line, then tag her and drop the ball.
As written, there does not see to be a time problem.

I would say the wording "The throw to 1b is in time and F3 has her foot on the bag. She catches the ball, and then tried to tag the B-R. " includes two actions, an out and an unrelated move to tag.

Second, " If the ball is caught, " are the operative words and the answer.
If not caught/controlled, then a different decision.