The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 31, 2003, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

In the below play, since the foul happened before the change of team possession, doesn't R have to decline the penalty to keep possession (and their TD). My reasoning are the following rules refernces.

Rule 5-2-2 & 3

ART. 2 . . . When a foul occurs during a scrimmage down and before any change of team possession, and before a receiver is first to touch a scrimmage kick while it is beyond the neutral zone, the ball belongs to A after enforcement. The number of the next down is the same as that of the down during which the foul occurred unless penalty acceptance includes a first down or loss of down, or the enforcement or the advance results in a first down.

ART. 3 . . . When a foul occurs prior to a scrimmage down, or simultaneously with the snap, the number of the next down after enforcement is the same as the number established before the foul occurred, unless enforcement for a foul by B results in a first down.

FUND II.3 - If R is first to touch a scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone, a new series will be awarded the team in possession at end of the down, unless there was a foul before the kick crossed the expanded neutral zone and the penalty was accepted, or there was a double foul or there was an inadvertent whistle during the kick following the touching by R.

PLAY

"...K is illegally in motion at the snap. K's punt is caught by R at his 40 yard line and returned for a TD. TD stands and gets to have the IM penalty enforced on the try. Doesn't seem fair. We were discussing a possible solution that would allow the penalty to be enforced from the succeeding spot (try) only if (a.) it was a personal foul, or (b.) it occurs after the final change of possession.

Bob M. "

Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Okay, here is my answer.

My on the field answer is that K's foul should not be penalized because it took place after the change of possession. My reason: the intent of the rule is to penalize fouls by the defense. K was the offense when the ball was snapped and their penalty occurred at the snap. K became the defense after the interception. Therefore, the penalty for K's foul must be declined in order to allow R to keep their touchdown.

Hope we get some more replies on this one.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Oh my, I should check the rule book first.

Here is the answer:

Check out rule 10-5-1f & 8-2-2.

I stand corrected. R keeps their touchdown. Penalize K half the distance on R's try.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Mike, I know the new rule states this, but....

it doesn't mention anything about a change of team possession or the effect other rules have that say to do something else. I still think that if R accepts the penalty, then they replay the down.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

And,

Fouls simultaneous with the snap are enforced from the previous spot.