The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Referee Magazine Case Plays

I just subscribed to Referee and noticed two problems with the CASEPLAYS section on page 28 of the June, 2013 issue. (I only umpire softball games played under NFHS rules.)

SITUATION # 1: Fast pitch. B1, the pitcher, hits a double in the second inning. B1 is replaced by courtesy runner S1. After a pitch to B2, team B points out that courtesy runner S1 is the same player who ran as the courtesy runner for the catcher.

RULING # 1: In ASA, NFHS, and USSSA, the same courtesy runner may not run for both the pitcher and the catcher at any time during the game. S1 is an illegal substitute and is disqualified, but can be replaced by a legal substitute, the pitcher, or a legal courtesy runner. Teams are not allowed to use courtesy runners in NCAA (ASA 4-3a-c, 8-10A[3]; NFHS 3-4-1c, 8-9-1; USSSA FP 5-7 Pen., 8-3A).

Under NFHS rules, the illegal substitute should be declared out and restricted to the bench. Do any of the other rules sets allow the illegal sub to be replaced by a different player on the bases?

SITUATION # 2: R1 is on first base and takes off on a hit-and-run. R1 touches second and is on her way to third as F8 makes a diving catch for the first out of the inning. F8 jumps to her feet and overthrows the ball into the first-base bench area. R1 is halfway between second and third as the ball leaves F8's hand. During the dead ball as the umpire awards the runner additional bases, R1 attempts to return to tag up at first base.

RULING # 2: R1 is awarded two bases to third base, but she never tagged up and cannot return to touch a base if she is on a base beyond the base she left too soon when the ball becomes dead. If the defensive coach appeals she never tagged up, R1 is out. Stopping the runner and pointing out she cannot return during the dead ball advantages the defense into making an appeal they might not have noticed (ASA 8-7F, 8-7I[3], R/S 1; NFHS 8-3-2 Effect, 8-4-3f Except. 2; NCAA 7.1.1.3, 12.28, 12.28.4.3; USSSA FP 9-1B, 9-3A, 9-6A, USSSA SP Rule 3-Appeal play, 8-5T Effect; 8-12D).

Under NFHS rules, would it not be correct to award R1 home if she was between second base and third base when the ball left F8's hand?

Last edited by bbsbvb83; Fri May 17, 2013 at 11:13am.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Play 1 would never have happened had the PU been properly maintaining the lineup sheet. He/she would have seen where the CR was used before and not allowed their illegal use.

In Play 2, the runner should be awarded home. Unlikely that she wouldn't get back around to the 1st base side of 2nd before the ball went out of play (maybe she was almost to 3rd by the time of the throw), but if that's the case, her retag would be disallowed.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post
RULING # 1: In ASA, NFHS, and USSSA, the same courtesy runner may not run for both the pitcher and the catcher at any time during the game.
IN USSSA, the same CR may be used for both positions unless it is the same inning.

NOTE:
We have frequently noted errors in Referee mag cases, rely on official published rulings by the National Rules Secretary or your State/Local Rules Interpreter.

Last edited by CecilOne; Fri May 17, 2013 at 10:08am.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SITUATION # 1: Fast pitch. B1, the pitcher, hits a double in the second inning. B1 is replaced by courtesy runner S1. After a pitch to B2, team B points out that courtesy runner S1 is the same player who ran as the courtesy runner for the catcher.

RULING # 1: In ASA, NFHS, and USSSA, the same courtesy runner may not run for both the pitcher and the catcher at any time during the game. S1 is an illegal substitute and is disqualified, but can be replaced by a legal substitute, the pitcher, or a legal courtesy runner. Teams are not allowed to use courtesy runners in NCAA (ASA 4-3a-c, 8-10A[3]; NFHS 3-4-1c, 8-9-1; USSSA FP 5-7 Pen., 8-3A).

Under NFHS rules, the illegal substitute should be declared out and restricted to the bench. Do any of the other rules sets allow the illegal sub to be replaced by a different player on the bases?
Yes, in ASA, 4.3 is about DP/FLEX, should be 4.6.f
USSSA is also an out.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
IN USSSA, the same CR may be used or both positions unless it is a different inning.

NOTE:
We have frequently noted errors in Referee mag cases, rely on official published rulings by the National Rules Secretary or your State/Local Rules Interpreter.

I think you brain was working faster than your fingers..

You either meant to write:
IN USSSA, the same CR may NOT be used or both positions unless it is a different inning.
or
IN USSSA, the same CR may be used or both positions unless it is in the same inning.

Old Fri May 17, 2013, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
I think you brain was working faster than your fingers..

That is always the case.

But I did go back and correct the post, after practicing writing for Ref Mag.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
That is always the case.

But I did go back and correct the post, after practicing writing for Ref Mag.
You're luckier than I am then... Often my brain doesn't work at all, but my fingers continue to type......
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Sit 2 - why is the CF jumping up, and why would it matter; and why is R1 trying to tag up in the first place?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Sit 2 - why is the CF jumping up, and why would it matter; and why is R1 trying to tag up in the first place?
Corrected. Thanks.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Corrected. Thanks.
Ah! That little bit of information does change things, doesn't it?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SITUATION #1...If the defensive coach appeals she never tagged up, R1 is out.
No she's not. That's not a legal appeal for ASA.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SITUATION # 2: R1 is on first base and takes off on a hit-and-run. R1 touches second and is on her way to third as F8 makes a diving catch for the first out of the inning. F8 jumps to her feet and overthrows the ball into the first-base bench area. R1 is halfway between second and third as the ball leaves F8's hand. During the dead ball as the umpire awards the runner additional bases, R1 attempts to return to tag up at first base.

RULING # 2: R1 is awarded two bases to third base, but she never tagged up and cannot return to touch a base if she is on a base beyond the base she left too soon when the ball becomes dead. If the defensive coach appeals she never tagged up, R1 is out. Stopping the runner and pointing out she cannot return during the dead ball advantages the defense into making an appeal they might not have noticed (ASA 8-7F, 8-7I[3], R/S 1; NFHS 8-3-2 Effect, 8-4-3f Except. 2; NCAA 7.1.1.3, 12.28, 12.28.4.3; USSSA FP 9-1B, 9-3A, 9-6A, USSSA SP Rule 3-Appeal play, 8-5T Effect; 8-12D).
The red portions are incorrect for ASA

The proper award is home.

While it is true that once the runner touches an awarded base, she cannot return to touch a base missed or left too soon, it is false that she cannot do so the minute the ball goes dead. This is why umpires are instructed to wait until all obvious attempts of a runner to complete one's base running tasks before announcing an award. If this runner was already beginning to return when the umpire announces the award, she should not be ruled out on the appeal assuming she corrects any errors made in the prior play.

And, as usual, Bretman is correct, a coach cannot make this appeal.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

And the moral of the story is ... (as Cecil said) do NOT rely on Referee Magazine on being correct. Ever.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
And the moral of the story is ... (as Cecil said) do NOT rely on Referee Magazine on being correct. Ever.
This was my first issue. If this is a sign of things to come, I have a feeling I won't be renewing my subscription.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This was my first issue. If this is a sign of things to come, I have a feeling I won't be renewing my subscription.
I have read good articles in there regarding positioning, equipment, attitude, mentoring, moving up, etc... pretty much all of the peripheral things you need to become good... and they do a good job covering all sports. And some good profiles on long-time officials as well

But that column they have about the rules is notoriously wrong.

West Houston Mike