The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I was considering subscribing to Referee Magazine. Are any of you subscribers? Do you feel it is worth the money?
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Its a great magazine. I think it is worth the money. The only downside is that it focuses only on the American Rules, so no FIBA or Canadian Football.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 04:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Must have.

It is very worth it. The articles are excellent, they deal with things that are vital to officiating. Some here might tell you that there are things they do not like about the magazine. But they interview some of the best referees in the country in all the major sports. They give insight on moving up and philosophy. They give case plays on specific areas on the rules. They have information you cannot get anywhere else in the world of officiating. And if you do HS in America, the NF has plenty of publications at your disposal that you can get a discounted rates if you are a NASO member. It is the best overall resource for officials that I can think of. I do not know too many officials that are serious about officiating that do not get this publication or have not at some point of their career.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

If you join NASO, you get Referee

Magazine as part of the package.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Well worth it. Even though I only officiate one sport (basketball) which is only given 10-15 pages per issue, it's well worth it. I don't agree with everything that's written, but that's OK because it makes me think and I find most of it very useful.

Z
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

I have received great value from the magazine. It is truly worth subscribing too. I emjoy learning about the world of officiating and news from other areas as well as reading about other sports. I am not so sure about NASO. Was a member for one year but not sure at the HS level if there was a lot of value. But definetly get it, if you are not sure they will usually send one free issue to check it out.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcwilco
I am not so sure about NASO. Was a member for one year but not sure at the HS level if there was a lot of value.
The value of being a member of naso is the insurance and the legal backing you will receive if you ever get drawn into court over a game. I know three officials in my area whom I work with a lot, fight broke out in the game they were working . One was a member of naso and two were not members. The one turned it over to naso and never heard much there after. The other two had to hire attorneys. The other two are now members of naso. I have also known several members who got injured and receive all their game fees. I would recommend all officials to become members of naso.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 08:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Officiating is a business.

Some will disagree with me. But anytime you take money for a service, have a schedule within for that project that you take money for, anything you do is an investment. Investing in Referee Magazine or NASO or what kind of shoes you buy is all apart of that business. Just like anything else you spend your money on, there are going to be pros and cons to what you invest. This is not different than the debates we have had over belted pants or bletless pants, Honigs vs +POS or Officiating.com vs McGriffs. There is going to be ups and downs to all of it. I would suggest if you have not subscribed to NASO or Referee Magazine, do for a year. If it does not work for you, drop it. For a current member and someone that has been a member for probably 6 years or so, I would not live without it. When the new NF and NCAA Rules come out, Referee Magazine is often the first to have articles about them in all the sports they cover. I also like the fact that they have information on official's abuse and laws that affect officating in specific states and around the world. You also get insight on what it takes to move up and what other states are doing to make officiating better around the country and the world. I can work two games in basketball and one weekend in football and I have paid for the membership and have money left over.

If it is worth it to you, pay for it. If it is not, do not pay for it. If you have a friend that had a bad problem with NASO, then if you trust them enough, listen to them. If I get sued or if I get hurt, it is not going to be my friends that help me with the situations that NASO helps with. It really comes down to if money that you are already going to make is worth investing, rather than holding your money and having to come out of your own money to pay for you loss or get a lawyer. I hate all the money I pay in car insurance, but when I had an accident, it was worth it then.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I have also known several members who got injured and receive all their game fees. I would recommend all officials to become members of naso.
Is game fee protection still included? The NFHS dropped it from their insurance because of the rates. So did the NCHSAA. IF NASO hasn't dropped it, I bet they will.
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 09:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Game fee protection.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Is game fee protection still included? The NFHS dropped it from their insurance because of the rates. So did the NCHSAA. IF NASO hasn't dropped it, I bet they will.
I believe so. I have not gotten any information about that part of it, but I will try to find out.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 28, 2003, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I have not heard about dropping the game fee coverage. My main reason for being a member of naso is the backing you get should you ever get sued.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Thnaks for the insights and views on my post. Bart, are you saying that NASO will help with legal issues,(and I am sure that I as an official need to be doing my part for safety of the player). I thought they mainly just carried insurance which I have through USSF from my soccer and my stae dues throguh basketball. I guess I will re read the ad I got in the mail a couple of days ago.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 02:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Legal insurance.

rcwilco,

Legal issues is one of the things the insurance covers. The NF has some similar coverage, but that only applies to NF games, not rec. leagues or I do not think NCAA games anyone might do. Not even sure summer ball is covered by this (NF coverage). I have never known anyone that has ever had to use the NF coverage, but I know some that have used the NASO coverage for the game-fee part of coverage.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I have not heard about dropping the game fee coverage. My main reason for being a member of naso is the backing you get should you ever get sued.
I think that it has always been separate coverage -- that is, something that you pay extra for if you want it. Not worth it, imho.

Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

The NASO game fee insurance program is a separate package that I didn't think was worthwhile. If you have games booked well into the future and suffer an injury, it might be worthwhile. But I'm a 1-sport official in an area where officiating contracts are signed shortly before the season, so I didn't think the coverage was worth the premium.

I do like the NASO's liability coverage. It covers you for pretty much any type of organized game, as opposed the the coverage provided by our state association.

And I enjoy the magazine, too.