The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 04, 2013, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

pitcher rolls ball from glove to hand

I'm looking for a recent thread. The discussion was about a pitcher who flipped the ball from glove to hand while on the pitching plate. I had a pitcher yesterday who would stand on the rubber with the ball in the glove. Then she would bring the glove close to the hand and let the ball roll into her hand. After that she would wait a second or so, bring the hands together, then pitch. Can anyone point out the thread or comment on the legality?
Old Sat May 04, 2013, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

I believe you are looking for this 2013 NFHS case play interpretation:

SITUATION 1: The pitcher, while standing on the pitcher's plate taking her signal from the catcher, tosses the ball back and forth between her glove and pitching hand several times. Once she receives the signal, she then brings her hands together and pitches the ball

RULING: The ball must remain in one hand or the other while the pitcher takes or simulates taking the signal. If she is tossing the ball back and forth from one hand to the other while taking the signal, it would be considered an illegal pitch (for not taking the signal with the ball being held in one or the other). The illegal pitch would be called the first time the pitcher’s hands come together and then separate while tossing the ball back and forth.

COMMENT: If the pitcher flipped the ball back and forth between the hand and glove without actually bringing the hands together, then held the ball in the hand or glove while taking the signal and started the pitch, her actions would be legal. (6-1-1a,b)
Old Sun May 05, 2013, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

For those (like me) who went looking in the case book for the situation Steve quoted, you can find it here or here.
Old Sun May 05, 2013, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

What Steve quoted from the casebook seems to cover my situation. Looked odd but legal by the book.