The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
NCAA rules changes

Since the NCAA now uses a 2 year format for their rule books, can someone tell me where to go to look up rule changes in between this time period? I was told by a friend that there is a publication that came out but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Dont know if this is what you are looking for.

Several rules proposals gain approval - NCAA.com
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

A fellow umpire informed me today that the NCAA adopted a rule change for this year that says that if a fielder is guilty of obstruction, they shall be warned and if they commit obstruction again, they shall be ejected. Never heard of this. Any idea where this idea came from? Dave
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
A fellow umpire informed me today that the NCAA adopted a rule change for this year that says that if a fielder is guilty of obstruction, they shall be warned and if they commit obstruction again, they shall be ejected. Never heard of this. Any idea where this idea came from? Dave
It is not new and only applies to OBS while a runner is rounding or returning to a base.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
It is not new and only applies to OBS while a runner is rounding or returning to a base.
Can't find what you are referring to. On obstruction when a runner is rounding or returning, the rule says issue a team warning to the offending individual and notify the coach. Subsequent violation of the same rule shall result in a one base award. There is no mention of ejection. Where are you reading this? Dave
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Can't find what you are referring to. On obstruction when a runner is rounding or returning, the rule says issue a team warning to the offending individual and notify the coach. Subsequent violation of the same rule shall result in a one base award. There is no mention of ejection. Where are you reading this? Dave
Oh, I did not read your OP carefully, just the OBS & warning part, missed the ejection part.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Very curious about the ax handle bats. Wonder if that will filter down to Federation softball.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:41am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Very curious about the ax handle bats. Wonder if that will filter down to Federation softball.
What do you mean???
The Axe handle bat is currently legal in Federation as it will be in NCAA in 2014
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
A bat with a handle shaped like this? Whatever for?

Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 02:35am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post

Great fit in hands. But you can only grip it one way so you are always going to have one area to hit with. Bats could break down faster. versus a traditional bat that you can roll around when you grip it allowing more hitting surfaces.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

I've never seen one and do not recall any mention of it in any rules session. May have just missed it. Reminds me of the first time I saw one of those "bent" slow pitch bats.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since the NCAA now uses a 2 year format for their rule books, can someone tell me where to go to look up rule changes in between this time period? I was told by a friend that there is a publication that came out but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave
You are correct that the NCAA has gone to a two year format. The only rule changes that will occur between the two years are ones that deal with safety. There were no changes in 2013.

Regarding an obstructing fielder on a runner rounding or returning, that has been an NCAA rule for at least a decade. I warning is given the first time it happens. The plate umpire records the warning and the teams are notified. If the same player commits the same infraction, the obstructed runner will automatically get the next base, regardless of whether the umpire believed the runner would have gotten that base had the obstruction no occurred. It is a rule intended to get the 1st baseman off of 1st base when the ball is rolling around in the outfield. Believing that the umpires were not going to protect the runner to 2nd base, coaches stationed their 1st baseman on or near 1st base on outfield hits just to complicate things for the runner.

For the most part, I think that coaches and players must know this rule clearly (at least at the higher level), because I have only seen it three times in a 10+ years.

As for the "ejection" part of the statement - there is no ejection for this infraction.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Regarding an obstructing fielder on a runner rounding or returning, that has been an NCAA rule for at least a decade. I warning is given the first time it happens. The plate umpire records the warning and the teams are notified. If the same player commits the same infraction, the obstructed runner will automatically get the next base, regardless of whether the umpire believed the runner would have gotten that base had the obstruction no occurred. It is a rule intended to get the 1st baseman off of 1st base when the ball is rolling around in the outfield. Believing that the umpires were not going to protect the runner to 2nd base, coaches stationed their 1st baseman on or near 1st base on outfield hits just to complicate things for the runner.

And that is pitifully sad on both sides. The point that some umpires refuse to apply obstruction properly to the level that the coaches believe a punitive effect must be required to stop the other coaches from instructing their players from teaching their teams to do something that is neither legal or sportsmanlike.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 08:44am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post

It's more like this:

"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
It's more like this:

[image]
That doesn't look much like an ax handle... just a bit of a flare toward the "knob", said "knob" not being perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the bat.