The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NCAA rules changes (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/94725-ncaa-rules-changes.html)

shipwreck Sun Apr 07, 2013 03:58pm

NCAA rules changes

Since the NCAA now uses a 2 year format for their rule books, can someone tell me where to go to look up rule changes in between this time period? I was told by a friend that there is a publication that came out but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

RKBUmp Sun Apr 07, 2013 04:08pm

Dont know if this is what you are looking for.

Several rules proposals gain approval - NCAA.com

shipwreck Sun Apr 07, 2013 04:28pm

A fellow umpire informed me today that the NCAA adopted a rule change for this year that says that if a fielder is guilty of obstruction, they shall be warned and if they commit obstruction again, they shall be ejected. Never heard of this. Any idea where this idea came from? Dave

CecilOne Sun Apr 07, 2013 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 889625)
A fellow umpire informed me today that the NCAA adopted a rule change for this year that says that if a fielder is guilty of obstruction, they shall be warned and if they commit obstruction again, they shall be ejected. Never heard of this. Any idea where this idea came from? Dave

It is not new and only applies to OBS while a runner is rounding or returning to a base.

shipwreck Sun Apr 07, 2013 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 889629)
It is not new and only applies to OBS while a runner is rounding or returning to a base.

Can't find what you are referring to. On obstruction when a runner is rounding or returning, the rule says issue a team warning to the offending individual and notify the coach. Subsequent violation of the same rule shall result in a one base award. There is no mention of ejection. Where are you reading this? Dave

CecilOne Sun Apr 07, 2013 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 889632)
Can't find what you are referring to. On obstruction when a runner is rounding or returning, the rule says issue a team warning to the offending individual and notify the coach. Subsequent violation of the same rule shall result in a one base award. There is no mention of ejection. Where are you reading this? Dave

Oh, I did not read your OP carefully, just the OBS & warning part, missed the ejection part.

SWFLguy Sun Apr 07, 2013 06:49pm

Very curious about the ax handle bats. Wonder if that will filter down to Federation softball.

Insane Blue Mon Apr 08, 2013 01:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy (Post 889641)
Very curious about the ax handle bats. Wonder if that will filter down to Federation softball.

What do you mean???
The Axe handle bat is currently legal in Federation as it will be in NCAA in 2014

Crabby_Bob Mon Apr 08, 2013 01:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWFLguy (Post 889641)

A bat with a handle shaped like this? Whatever for?

http://media.mydoitbest.com/imagereq...=C&newsize=300

Insane Blue Mon Apr 08, 2013 02:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob (Post 889692)

Great fit in hands. But you can only grip it one way so you are always going to have one area to hit with. Bats could break down faster. versus a traditional bat that you can roll around when you grip it allowing more hitting surfaces.

SWFLguy Mon Apr 08, 2013 03:00am

I've never seen one and do not recall any mention of it in any rules session. May have just missed it. Reminds me of the first time I saw one of those "bent" slow pitch bats.

EsqUmp Mon Apr 08, 2013 06:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 889619)
Since the NCAA now uses a 2 year format for their rule books, can someone tell me where to go to look up rule changes in between this time period? I was told by a friend that there is a publication that came out but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

You are correct that the NCAA has gone to a two year format. The only rule changes that will occur between the two years are ones that deal with safety. There were no changes in 2013.

Regarding an obstructing fielder on a runner rounding or returning, that has been an NCAA rule for at least a decade. I warning is given the first time it happens. The plate umpire records the warning and the teams are notified. If the same player commits the same infraction, the obstructed runner will automatically get the next base, regardless of whether the umpire believed the runner would have gotten that base had the obstruction no occurred. It is a rule intended to get the 1st baseman off of 1st base when the ball is rolling around in the outfield. Believing that the umpires were not going to protect the runner to 2nd base, coaches stationed their 1st baseman on or near 1st base on outfield hits just to complicate things for the runner.

For the most part, I think that coaches and players must know this rule clearly (at least at the higher level), because I have only seen it three times in a 10+ years.

As for the "ejection" part of the statement - there is no ejection for this infraction.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 08, 2013 07:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 889699)
Regarding an obstructing fielder on a runner rounding or returning, that has been an NCAA rule for at least a decade. I warning is given the first time it happens. The plate umpire records the warning and the teams are notified. If the same player commits the same infraction, the obstructed runner will automatically get the next base, regardless of whether the umpire believed the runner would have gotten that base had the obstruction no occurred. It is a rule intended to get the 1st baseman off of 1st base when the ball is rolling around in the outfield. Believing that the umpires were not going to protect the runner to 2nd base, coaches stationed their 1st baseman on or near 1st base on outfield hits just to complicate things for the runner.

And that is pitifully sad on both sides. The point that some umpires refuse to apply obstruction properly to the level that the coaches believe a punitive effect must be required to stop the other coaches from instructing their players from teaching their teams to do something that is neither legal or sportsmanlike.

Manny A Mon Apr 08, 2013 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob (Post 889692)

It's more like this:

http://www.baseballsavings.com/image...21623/i-10.jpg

Crabby_Bob Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 889719)
It's more like this:

[image]

That doesn't look much like an ax handle... just a bit of a flare toward the "knob", said "knob" not being perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the bat.