The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

I attended a junior college game the other day and a couple of situations occurred that I had a question about.

1) White scores and blue inbounds the ball. Blue player notices his shoe is untied. He stops, sets the ball down on the floor and ties his shoe. Official blows his whistle and stops play. Ball is awarded to blue for a throw in. Do you really stop play at this level for an untied shoe?

2) Blue has a breakaway layup. White is called for an intentional foul. Ball goes in and blue gets one shot plus the ball. Is an intentional foul only one shot and the ball if the try is good in NCAA?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Sit 1: The player screwed up by assuming the official would stop the game for him. The official probably blew the whistle in this instance for preventative measures, i.e. no white player was in the backcourt with blue, so the official probably gave him a "don't do that again" speech.

Sit 2: The basket being made has no influence on the penalty for an intentional foul. Blue player still gets 2 free throws and blue retains possession at the OOB spot nearest the foul regardless of whether or not the basket was made.