The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Knowing who is up to bat

The thread on projected substitution got me wondering. Do most of you usually have an idea who is up to bat? If the coach came up to me and said I want to bat 30 for 20 in the 5 spot, I'd have no idea if that was 9 spots away or due up. Should I be paying more attention to that?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 02:17pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
The thread on projected substitution got me wondering. Do most of you usually have an idea who is up to bat? If the coach came up to me and said I want to bat 30 for 20 in the 5 spot, I'd have no idea if that was 9 spots away or due up. Should I be paying more attention to that?
If you ask the coach, "Is 30 up to bat now?" he says, "No", and you say, "Then when 30 is actually coming to the plate, that's when you can let me know of your change," then you won't have to worry about it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
Good grief!!
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
If you ask the coach, "Is 30 up to bat now?" he says, "No", and you say, "Then when 30 is actually coming to the plate, that's when you can let me know of your change," then you won't have to worry about it.
Really, I wasn't trying to make a case about the projected substitution discussion [I'll do that on the right thread]. It just seemed like a lot of people were suggesting they knew who was coming up to bat and I didn't want to ask on the more contentious thread.

Last edited by youngump; Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 02:36pm.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, while this is a traditionally way of talking about substitutions, that is not correct. #30 is a SUBSTITUTE for #20, who happens to be in the 5th batting position. So to answer your question: why does it matter. Make the change, record it on your line up card. If a team commits an infraction, and it is brought to your attention*, then rule on it. Period.

*NFHS does have language that allows the umpire to discover unreported subs, etc.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 03:59pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
No I do not as it is not my job to know.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really, I wasn't trying to make a case about the projected substitution discussion [I'll do that on the right thread]. It just seemed like a lot of people were suggesting they knew who was coming up to bat and I didn't want to ask on the more contentious thread.
I get that, but it ties in.

To answer your question without re-diving into the PS discussion...

If you believe as Mike, Atl, several others do, and accept any and all substitutions on the offense regardless of when they are due up ... then you don't care when they are due to bat that inning. You pull out the lineup card, cross off number 20 and write in 30. Done.

If you believe as me, Manny and several others do, then you ask exactly what Manny said you ask, and act accordingly.

My main point in the other thread is that regardless of which you believe to be correct, you can "prove" your way is correct via the rulebook, and you can avoid any issues with coaches, lineups, unreported subs, etc if you are self-consistent across the board on the way you're doing it.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
SELF-consistent is only 1/2 the battle.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. They give me numbers, I write numbers down, not a clue who's up next, till mommy scorekeeper throws a fit. .

Then I figure out who's up next.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Couldn't care less who is at bat unless the tie-breaker comes into play.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

+1 to Irish. I will keep a semi track of the last out when I know the score is tied, but outside of that, I couldn't tell you who is batting next or has just hit.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2013, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
+1 to Irish. I will keep a semi track of the last out when I know the score is tied, but outside of that, I couldn't tell you who is batting next or has just hit.
WRT to who is batting next, I generally only pay attention to that on those situations where someone is batting but the inning ends without finishing that at bat - I'll make mental note of who that player was. (Especially at the younger ages). More often than not, SOMEONE is going to ask me if she is first up the next inning.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 15, 2013, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
WRT to who is batting next, I generally only pay attention to that on those situations where someone is batting but the inning ends without finishing that at bat - I'll make mental note of who that player was. (Especially at the younger ages). More often than not, SOMEONE is going to ask me if she is first up the next inning.
And the answer is, "the player scheduled after the last batter to complete his/her turn at bat the previous inning."
Old Fri Feb 15, 2013, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And the answer is, "the player scheduled after the last batter to complete his/her turn at bat the previous inning."
High school coach? I'm answering very much like that.

First timer unpaid volunteer coach? I'm probably just saying "#4, coach. If she didn't complete her at bat, she is the first one due up the next inning."

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 15, 2013, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by md longhorn View Post
high school coach? I'm answering very much like that.

First timer unpaid volunteer coach? I'm probably just saying "#4, coach. If she didn't complete her at bat, she is the first one due up the next inning."
+1

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"