The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:10am
Stirrer of the Pot

NFHS Rule Book Typo?

Reference FED rule 7-4-14, it is batter's interference if she throws her bat on a swing, and interferes with a fielder attempting a play. No problem there.

But then in the Penalty section, Art 14 is NOT listed as a situation where the ball is dead immediately. Is this an intentional omission or mere oversight? I can't imagine why we would leave the ball Live in this scenario.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Reference FED rule 7-4-14, it is batter's interference if she throws her bat on a swing, and interferes with a fielder attempting a play. No problem there.

But then in the Penalty section, Art 14 is NOT listed as a situation where the ball is dead immediately. Is this an intentional omission or mere oversight? I can't imagine why we would leave the ball Live in this scenario.
Disclosure: I don't work FED.

Perhaps the rational is that the rule makers want to assure that the defense has the opportunity to take full advantage of the play to their maximum benefit?

Manny, if I remember correctly, you work some college ball. Is your feeling that the FED rule on this should offer the umpire the option of a DB or DDB call on this play similar to NCAA 11.22.5.2 Effect and 11.22.5.3 Effect?

Last edited by KJUmp; Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 05:51am.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:08am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Disclosure: I don't work FED.

Perhaps the rational is that the rule makers want to assure that the defense has the opportunity to take full advantage of the play to their maximum benefit?

Manny, if I remember correctly, you work some college ball. Is your feeling that the FED rule on this should offer the umpire the option of a DB or DDB call on this play similar to NCAA 11.22.5.2 Effect and 11.22.5.3 Effect?
No, I don't think there should be an option for the umpire. As soon as the bat affects the defensive player's chance to make a play, the umpire should kill it and rule the batter out.

It's no different than any other situation where a batter interferes. We don't leave the ball live to allow the defense to continue to make plays to their advantage. Once a batter hinders a catcher's throw attempt to retire a base stealer, for example, we don't signal delayed-dead ball in hopes that perhaps the catcher will still get the out.

The delayed-dead ball situation in 11.22.5.3 of the NCAA book is when the batter releases the bat and it endangers a player not making a play or an umpire.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
The delayed-dead ball situation in 11.22.5.3 of the NCAA book is when the batter releases the bat and it endangers a player not making a play or an umpire.
Yeah, you're right I kind of skimmed over the operative word there....endangers. Nor do I disagree with the first part of your reply.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 01:16pm
Call it as I see it.

Dead ball table 5-1 pg 43 also is incorrect! #1 awards or penalty still list the old hit batter ruling