The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

CA CIF umpires, facemask rule?

Been reading on another forum that supposedly CA is mandating defensive facemasks for pitchers starting this year. I have searched all over the CIF website and cannot find any mention of this rule. Doing some internet searching I also find mention of this supposedly being mandated back in 2011 for the 2012 season, but dont think this every happened either.

Any truth to this rumor? If it is true, do you have a link to where the rule is posted?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

northern California

We just had our first HS meeting in Northern Cal. Unless it's a So Cal thing, I heard nothing. I pay attention in class and I'm sure nothing was said about that.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
We just had our first HS meeting in Northern Cal. Unless it's a So Cal thing, I heard nothing. I pay attention in class and I'm sure nothing was said about that.
Thanks. I have been all over the CIF site and cannot find anything even mentioning it. On top of that, I dont think legally they can mandate equipment that does not carry the NOCSAE seal, and as far as I know none of the defensive facemasks are NOCSAE approved.

Probably just some parents who think the masks should be mandatory spreading rumors they know nothing about.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 04:48pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
On top of that, I dont think legally they can mandate equipment that does not carry the NOCSAE seal.
Not all equipment that is required for safety purposes is subjected to any NOCSAE standard. For example, chest protectors and shin guards are mandated for catchers, and those don't have any kind of seal.

I don't think there's any legal issue with requiring equipment that is meant to enhance safety if it doesn't conform to some nonexistent standard. If there really was a concern, then those masks wouldn't be allowed on the field to begin with.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed on the chest and shin guards, but they also dont deal with head and face injuries. It appears that any equipment dealing with head and face that is mandated does have the NOCSAE seal.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Agreed on the chest and shin guards, but they also dont deal with head and face injuries. It appears that any equipment dealing with head and face that is mandated does have the NOCSAE seal.
This is true and for good reason. Just as we had loads of daddy-produced face cages on helmets, I could imagine a lot of variations of "masks" we would see if there were no standards in place.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 01:36pm
Call it as I see it.

I work with San Diego and Southern Sections. I read every memo that is put out for the sports I work and have not seen or heard of this.

Chalk it up to urban legends or make it the 21st myth of Softball