The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 08:39am
Stirrer of the Pot

Getting Help From Player

Had an 18U rec game last week, and on the very first pitch of the game, the batter tried to jump over a low pitch in her batter's box. The catcher moved into my slot to try and field the pitch, which ended up going to the backstop, and I couldn't see it. However, I clearly heard the ball hit something, and I thought it was the catcher's mitt, so I called the pitch a Ball.

The batter then looked at me and said, "Blue, the ball hit my foot." I responded, "I thought it hit the catcher's mitt." Then, the catcher, after retrieving the ball, replied, "No, the ball didn't hit my mitt."

Since this was a rec game, I went ahead and sent the batter to first base. The only one who complained, and that was done rather mildly, was the batter's coach. He wanted his batter to stay up there in hopes of getting a pitch to hit.

So, what do you typically do in a situation like this? If a defensive player tells you she dropped the ball on a tag, or an offensive player tells you she failed to touch a base, do you stick with the call you made? Or do you go ahead and change it to acknowledge a player's honesty?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Had an 18U rec game last week, and on the very first pitch of the game, the batter tried to jump over a low pitch in her batter's box. The catcher moved into my slot to try and field the pitch, which ended up going to the backstop, and I couldn't see it. However, I clearly heard the ball hit something, and I thought it was the catcher's mitt, so I called the pitch a Ball.

The batter then looked at me and said, "Blue, the ball hit my foot." I responded, "I thought it hit the catcher's mitt." Then, the catcher, after retrieving the ball, replied, "No, the ball didn't hit my mitt."

Since this was a rec game, I went ahead and sent the batter to first base. The only one who complained, and that was done rather mildly, was the batter's coach. He wanted his batter to stay up there in hopes of getting a pitch to hit.

So, what do you typically do in a situation like this? If a defensive player tells you she dropped the ball on a tag, or an offensive player tells you she failed to touch a base, do you stick with the call you made? Or do you go ahead and change it to acknowledge a player's honesty?
Is everyone taught to get all the info we can from reasonable sources?

In the OP, probably would agree, but my perception of the distance/angle to the batter's foot would affect that probability.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I think you deal with this on a case-by-case basis.

In the given situation, I don't have an issue with what you did. Both the offense and the defense were in agreement that the pitch hit the batter.

You need to consider the level of the game, the importance of the game, etc., very carefully when choosing to accept this type of "help". If in doubt, I would go with what you saw or what information you can get from your partner.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

SHOE POLISH! Look for the damn shoe polish on the ball. Yeah, that would work if all the shoes were black and players actually polished them
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

polish

As I recall, the only word in the English language that changes how you pronounce it depending on the case [upper or lower] of the first letter.

When it's used at the start of a sentence, all kinds of strange things could happen.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I had a different play to the OP - but similar in terms of help being offered.

Tag play at 3rd base, ball coming in from left field and I got straight lined with the runners body (sliding) in between me and the low tag. I couldn't see contact and called safe.

F5 is less than impressed asks me to go for help - my partner doesn't have clear contact either and so the call stands.

Then the runner fesses up and says "he got me". At which point I said "well if you want to give yourself up ...." and so he abandoned the base and I called him out crossing into dead ball territory.

So I have a similar question - should I reverse a call on basis of runner admitting contact?

Last edited by Far far away ..; Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 12:50pm. Reason: typo
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
polish

As I recall, the only word in the English language that changes how you pronounce it depending on the case [upper or lower] of the first letter.

When it's used at the start of a sentence, all kinds of strange things could happen.
august?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far far away .. View Post
should I reverse a call on basis of runner admitting contact?
I wouldn't ... would you reverse a call on the basis of a runner admitting he was safe?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I wouldn't ... would you reverse a call on the basis of a runner admitting he was safe?
Well I have seen the situation where a tag play was called and the fielder admitted to not making contact.

Runners tend to swear they were safe rather than admit it
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Tag play at 3rd base, ball coming in from left field and I got straight lined with the runners body (sliding) in between me and the low tag. I couldn't see contact and called safe.

F5 is less than impressed asks me to go for help - my partner doesn't have clear contact either and so the call stands.

Then the runner fesses up and says "he got me". At which point I said "well if you want to give yourself up ...." and so he abandoned the base and I called him out crossing into dead ball territory.

So I have a similar question - should I reverse a call on basis of runner admitting contact?
The way I see it, you didn't reverse anything. I kind of liked how you left it up to the runner....and he chose to abandon his baserunning duties and be out.

As I said in Manny's OP...I think you handle these situations on a case-by-case basis...the default would be to stick with what you saw and called.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The way I see it, you didn't reverse anything. I kind of liked how you left it up to the runner....and he chose to abandon his baserunning duties and be out.

As I said in Manny's OP...I think you handle these situations on a case-by-case basis...the default would be to stick with what you saw and called.
Thanks. Indeed in this case I didn't reverse the call, but wondered after if I should have - hence my adding to the thread when I saw it. I decided I was taking the firm route, explaining what I had and why but not changing. In my mind I wondered if I was being a bit of a hard-a$$, but this was a relatively serious tournament so I didn't want to seem wishy washy.

As background, this was in the UK Adult Co-ed Nationals tournament, so for this side of the pond a fairly serious tournament.

I thought it was classy of the runner to both admit he was tagged and give up the base and I complimented him on his sporting behaviour.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 11:46am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:

I thought it was classy of the runner to both admit he was tagged and give up the base and I complimented him on his sporting behaviour.
Hmmph. If he was so sporting, why didn't he admit he was tagged as soon as you made the Safe call? He didn't fess up until after F5 asked you to get help, you went to your partner, and your partner said he saw nothing different.

Also, I assume that since you went to your partner for help, you called Time first, and play was not resumed when the runner left the base. Can you make an abandonment call on a dead ball?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmmph. If he was so sporting, why didn't he admit he was tagged as soon as you made the Safe call? He didn't fess up until after F5 asked you to get help, you went to your partner, and your partner said he saw nothing different.

Also, I assume that since you went to your partner for help, you called Time first, and play was not resumed when the runner left the base. Can you make an abandonment call on a dead ball?
Slow pitch co-ed, so yes time had long since been called.

Speaking ASA, 8.7.U talks about a runner abandoning base and entering team area without qualifying if ball is live or not - so I think we're OK there.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
august?
I see this more as which syllable to stress as opposed to a different sound.

[aw-guhst] v [aw-guhst]

[poh-lish] v [pol-ish]
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 09:59am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Speaking ASA, 8.7.U talks about a runner abandoning base and entering team area without qualifying if ball is live or not - so I think we're OK there.
Really? So if I call Time because the coach wants to make a pitching change, and a runner goes into the dugout to get a drink of water during the break, I can call her out for abandonment?
Closed Thread