LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 02, 2012, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

ASA Umpire Manual Pre-Game

D. PU receives line-up cards from each coach
1. Inspects for proper number of players in the starting line-up
2. Inspects for proper information, by rule
3. Returns card to respective coach for final check
4. Accepts as "official" when cards are returned to the plate umpire.

This is the ASA prescribed procedure for handling the line-up cards. If you have not seen this in a clinic, you need to bring it to the attention of the UIC/trainer.

Once the card is confirmed by the coach, it is THE official line-up and any alterations to it from that moment forward is considered a change, whether sub, re-entry, CR, DP/FLEX manuever, whatever.

At this point, that part of the pre-game is done. I understand other associations expect you to continue further, but IMO, it is not the umpire's responsibility, nor place on the field, to prompt/cue/coach the coach.

I understand preventive umpiring, and asking for a sub/change when something occurs in the which dictates such action is fine. However, in the pre-game, nothing has occurred which would make me believe a change is imminent.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
I do all that. So what we are doing is defining "changes".

My point is, if we've just talked about if the lineups are correct, and they've had a chance to correct anything, why would they want to make changes?

Rita
Rita,
It is entirely possible that a coach has inadvertantly handed you an illegal lineup card. Before accepting the lineup card as official, we want them to correct it. It's part of the plate umpire's job to make sure that the lineup card is legal - even to the point of not accepting it when something is illegal.
Correcting that/those issues is not making a change.
Making a change means that somebody has entered/left the game or somebody has changed defensive position.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Can anyone get the lineup card printers to head the right hand column as "CHANGES" instead of "Substitutes",
with a "Substitutes" heading at the bottom?

Last edited by CecilOne; Mon Sep 03, 2012 at 10:29am.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Can anyone get the lineup card printers to head the right hand column as "CHANGES" instead of "Substitutes",
You have my vote on that!

I've always scratched my head on that.
Can't really blam a coach for filling in a column marked "Substitutes" with a list of his substitutes!!!

At one time during a rec game,I mentioned to coaches at the plate meeting that, it would be much easier for us (me, anyway), if they left that column blank and lited the subs at the bottom of the sheet.
I also emphasised that they had done nothing wrong, it just is easier to track changes with that column open.

As soon as the game was open, my partner chastised me saying
1) they could do what ever they wanted
and
2) It IS preferable to have subslisted in the "Substitute" column (even though the row they were listed on had nothing to do with the order that they eventially came in to play...

I never could understand point, 2), but now I don't talk about it - I just deal with it.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And just who are those "line-up card" printers? Are you suggesting that the respective sanctioning body now create rule dictating the format in which a line-up card is to be printed?

I really don't see the issue. The only time I've seen someone screw this up it has been SP guys using a preprinted line-up card. And it is more a lack of common sense than anything else, even with the FP folks.

Most FP teams, have their own line-up sheet/card, so unless YOU are going to provide them, I don't see how you are going to get what you are seeking, but I don't think it is necessary.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And just who are those "line-up card" printers? Are you suggesting that the respective sanctioning body now create rule dictating the format in which a line-up card is to be printed?

I really don't see the issue. The only time I've seen someone screw this up it has been SP guys using a preprinted line-up card. And it is more a lack of common sense than anything else, even with the FP folks.

Most FP teams, have their own line-up sheet/card, so unless YOU are going to provide them, I don't see how you are going to get what you are seeking, but I don't think it is necessary.
You are right - Not necessary / not something we have control over- just something that makes my life easier(the way I manage my card).

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Mon Sep 03, 2012 at 08:14pm.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Rita,
It is entirely possible that a coach has inadvertantly handed you an illegal lineup card. Before accepting the lineup card as official, we want them to correct it. It's part of the plate umpire's job to make sure that the lineup card is legal - even to the point of not accepting it when something is illegal.
Correcting that/those issues is not making a change.
Making a change means that somebody has entered/left the game or somebody has changed defensive position.
Hugo and I talked yesterday, and he gave me a possibility that hadn't occurred to me and hasn't yet happened.

So I get the lineup cards and check that everything is correct, making any necessary changes. Then when I get it back, it becomes official.

What I hadn't considered is the coach who wants to keep the option of DP/Flex but doesn't want to use it right away. After the lineups are official he could, theoretically, immediately reduce his lineup to nine and still have the option of DP/Flex later in the game.

THAT was the answer to my question.

Rita
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Come on Mike, like lots of things that will never happen, lightening up the thread with day dreaming. Sorry I used the wrong emoticon.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Come on Mike, like lots of things that will never happen, lightening up the thread with day dreaming. Sorry I used the wrong emoticon.
Then you may be disappointed we have decided to go to the ASA line-up cards in the future.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Hugo and I talked yesterday, and he gave me a possibility that hadn't occurred to me and hasn't yet happened.

So I get the lineup cards and check that everything is correct, making any necessary changes. Then when I get it back, it becomes official.

What I hadn't considered is the coach who wants to keep the option of DP/Flex but doesn't want to use it right away. After the lineups are official he could, theoretically, immediately reduce his lineup to nine and still have the option of DP/Flex later in the game.

THAT was the answer to my question.

Rita
Rita,
I did not recognize that was what you were asking about - sorry - it would have made answers earier to be more clearly understood.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Actually, no, it doesn't. Begging the Question, Again
Actually, Mannys use is now acceptable.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Actually, Mannys use is now acceptable.
Common does not equate to acceptable.