The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Diving deeper with this - WHY and HOW did you get to be on "beer drinking terms" with them?

I think there's a difference between being friends with a coach, and being friendly with a coach. As Steve pointed out earlier, NCAA wants the latter, not the former. I personally believe that mindset should trickle down to NFHS, and even ASA to a point.
Because where I live all of the kids are in the same school starting in 5th grade. My kids range five years from oldest to youngest and so that includes a large range of people I might be acquainted with or possibly even grew up with. I also coached all three daughters in softball and soccer and got to be friends with other coaches in the area.

I don't think I ever had an issue officiating in my area due to friendships.

Joel
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Diving deeper with this - WHY and HOW did you get to be on "beer drinking terms" with them?

I think there's a difference between being friends with a coach, and being friendly with a coach. As Steve pointed out earlier, NCAA wants the latter, not the former. I personally believe that mindset should trickle down to NFHS, and even ASA to a point.
By and large, I knew them separately from softball, in some cases before they became coaches. I can think of only one case where I became friends with someone (other than fellow blues) after meeting them at softball, and that's because she became my daughter's pitching coach.

West Houston Mike
Old Sun Sep 02, 2012, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
NCAA is an entirely different animal. Even at Div III, you are probably doing a bit of traveling to the game. It is unlikely you are living in the same neighborhood, going to the same church, having kids / grand kids in the same schools with the NCAA coaches. One of the umpires in our association coaches a high school JV team and a summer travel team. Several coaches when my kids were still in school I got to know as parents before we had a coach/umpire relationship. What do I do? Shun them? Ridiculous.

Ironically, I live in an area where I do, in fact, encounter players, coaches and fans of not one, but three of the colleges I service. (1 JUCO, 1 DIII, and 1 DII.) It has never been a problem, though, that I can recall.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 09:22am
Administrator

I don't know of any coaches at any level below the college level that are capable of using social media.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Here is what happened to me this weekend:

Number 1 pitcher for the local DII team registered as an ASA umpire this year. I got to watch and help evaluate her at a tournament this summer.

I get a friend request on FB from her this weekend.....

PS....I also told her this summer that now that I know that she is an umpire, if I ever get a dirty look from her when I am behind the plate while she is pitching, she will be gone so fast.....
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Here is what happened to me this weekend:

Number 1 pitcher for the local DII team registered as an ASA umpire this year. I got to watch and help evaluate her at a tournament this summer.

I get a friend request on FB from her this weekend.....

PS....I also told her this summer that now that I know that she is an umpire, if I ever get a dirty look from her when I am behind the plate while she is pitching, she will be gone so fast.....
It wasn't difficult for me to explain to the several coaches and several players that had FB friended me previously that the NCAA SUP frowned on that, and that they shouldn't take it personally that I was unfriending them only for that reason.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA program to set these standards, and like it or not, if you play their game, you have to play by their rules.