The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

social media policy

Do any of you guys have a social media policy? One of our umpires was chatting on facebook with a player from team A, and a player from team B was listening (watching) in. The conversation was mostly friendly, but did dwell on the coming tournament which the umpire would be working. He wished the player A good luck and told them that he expected to see them in the championship game as all the other teams weren't as good. You can imagine the listening in player B was not happy. (S)he sent me, via her league, a copy of the whole conversation. I think the umpire was out of line, but then still think "Op Sec" and try to not pass too much info on an open channel. So the question is how do you balance 1st Amendment rights against the good of the association? This conversation has cast a bias on all of us (umpires in my association).

Bugg
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
Do any of you guys have a social media policy? One of our umpires was chatting on facebook with a player from team A, and a player from team B was listening (watching) in. The conversation was mostly friendly, but did dwell on the coming tournament which the umpire would be working. He wished the player A good luck and told them that he expected to see them in the championship game as all the other teams weren't as good. You can imagine the listening in player B was not happy. (S)he sent me, via her league, a copy of the whole conversation. I think the umpire was out of line, but then still think "Op Sec" and try to not pass too much info on an open channel. So the question is how do you balance 1st Amendment rights against the good of the association? This conversation has cast a bias on all of us (umpires in my association).

Bugg
IMO, this is an over reaction. It is common conversation especially in smaller communities where everyone knows everyone else. And recognition of a team and their skills is biased in what manner? Are you telling me that umpires don't know who the better teams are? In most cases, the know better than anyone else as they are an unbiased witness to the plays and games.

To go a step further, I'm not saying that if an official made a comment showing actual bias that it would not be addressed, but according to what you posted, the umpire did nothing more than wish a player luck with an observation of the overall tournament roster.

But to answer your question, no.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

At most a reminder to the umpires in your association that social media is public communication might be in order. Would this umpire have said the same things directly behind another team's bench? If not, then the same common sense that would keep him from doing that should have kept him from having the conversation on social media.

But, I agree with Mike, this does not show bias; insensitivity, perhaps, but not bias.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

I say grow up!!!

Just because the umpire made note that one team's skills were better than others does not mean he will be making biased calls. Also, its a public forum, if you don't like what you read on it then don't go there. You're just as free to post in a public forum as well as not.

Grow up.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

I still think it's wise to at least remind people to be somewhat careful with what they post publicly online. Anything can be blown out of proportion, and with our credibility on the line, it's a good personal policy to have. As such, there have been instances in which I've had to bite my tongue every now and then, holding back my actual opinion on various matters. Things, for better or worse, can easily get pushed up the chain of command within local and national associations.

I don't think this umpire was out of line. In fact, nowhere near the line. I always wish teams the best of luck. Big effin' deal.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Sat Aug 20, 2011 at 08:00pm.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I still think it's wise to at least remind people to be somewhat careful with what they post publicly online. Anything can be blown out of proportion,...
Like these?

Teacher-Suspended-for-Blog-Posts-About-Students

Florida Teacher Suspended for Anti-Gay Marriage Posts on Personal Facebook Page
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Please, no more social media policies!

As a Missouri teacher, social media, or more specifically, Facebook, has been the number one topic of the young school year.

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, read this link
Missouri law bans some teacher-student contact on Facebook, other sites – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

I don't think a policy is necessary, but officials (and EVERYONE for that matter) needs to be educated that somethings shouldn't be posted on Facebook, and as an official, talking about a game you have or are going to officiate with a participant should not be posted! You are simply opening yourself up to trouble.

I admit that I have coaches on my friends list that I occasionally officiate for. Sometimes we confirm dates over Facebook, however I will not comment about the game.

I can't say I'm perfect as I have commited one faux pas and was called on it: I made a status update during halftime of a basketball game I was reffing on my cell phone. When I checked Facebook later that night, I had several comments along the lines of, "Hey, aren't you reffing the game I'm watching right now?"
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I still think it's wise to at least remind people to be somewhat careful with what they post publicly online. Anything can be blown out of proportion, and with our credibility on the line, it's a good personal policy to have.

Well, you know what, I'm tired of having to ajust my life to make up for another's stupidity, ignorance or just out right lack of a brain.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't have or know of a social media policy, but I have suggested to an umpire when I thought postings on messageboards (and this is one) were suggesting something other than what he intended. I know it has been suggested to me that I not post at all.

It has also been suggested to me that, since I am not the state UIC, I cannot make rulings, so I should refer any rules question to him to be answered; and I participate in several, including one I run in our area. Guess what; I still respond. But, I am careful what I say doesn't imply any more authority than I may have.

To me, the bottom line is that we are all allowed (legally) to participate in these forums, and even Facebook and Twitter; but, like anything else, we have to be careful to not be perceived as even slightly biased. If there can even be a perception, we are damned, because perception is reality to enough people. Sure, we have First Amendment rights, and can say more or less whatever we want; that doesn't mean there may not be consequences for what we do say.

As an assignor/coordinator, I feel I have to be (somewhat) receptive to what the customer perceives; if not, there is nothing that forces them to stay my customer. So, if the customer presents a cogent case that one individual is perceived as biased, that one individual may lose assignments; simply being more cautious when posting publicly can keep that from being an issue.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
If there can even be a perception, we are damned, because perception is reality to enough people.
Which is the biggest problem with not only our sport, but just about every damn thing in this country.

And kowtowing to general ignorance simply pertetuates a problem that will eventually turn the movie Idiocracy from a sarcastic comedy to a documentary.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

The Neth.'s are a small country in Europe. You all know that fact. We have a very small softball-community in Holland and in Europe as a whole. Most coaches and players know the umpires by name. Some of them have friendship- (or worse: family-) relations with the umpires. The dutch umpires are advised by the national federation not to accept players and/or coaches as "friend" on the social media. For the different forums we are advised to stay away. This international umpireforum is the only one I'm active on and not even under full name. Although frequent readers, familiar with the dutch softball-community can figure out who I am.
The worst thing we umpires can lose is our good-name. People might indeed think we are bias. So, yes, the best thing is to be more than very careful what to write.

During a game I always call the coaches "Coach", even if (s)he is a friend outside the ballpark... I know you all do that as I do it. So why shouldn't we do it as well on the social media?

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
The Neth.'s are a small country in Europe. You all know that fact. We have a very small softball-community in Holland and in Europe as a whole. Most coaches and players know the umpires by name. Some of them have friendship- (or worse: family-) relations with the umpires. The dutch umpires are advised by the national federation not to accept players and/or coaches as "friend" on the social media. For the different forums we are advised to stay away. This international umpireforum is the only one I'm active on and not even under full name. Although frequent readers, familiar with the dutch softball-community can figure out who I am.
The worst thing we umpires can lose is our good-name. People might indeed think we are bias. So, yes, the best thing is to be more than very careful what to write.

During a game I always call the coaches "Coach", even if (s)he is a friend outside the ballpark... I know you all do that as I do it. So why shouldn't we do it as well on the social media?
I'm in the same situation. I'm in a small state and just about everyone in the softball community knows each other off the field as well as on the field. I often have players and coaches call me by name even though I ask them not to do so. I use their name only when necessary, if at all.

If I had to decline games or defer decisions based on familiarity, I'd just as well lock myself in my house because that would be the only way to do my job.

But I can guarantee there i no one in my area that will have cause of accusing me of favoring one team/player over another.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
Please, no more social media policies!

As a Missouri teacher, social media, or more specifically, Facebook, has been the number one topic of the young school year.

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, read this link
Missouri law bans some teacher-student contact on Facebook, other sites – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

I don't think a policy is necessary, but officials (and EVERYONE for that matter) needs to be educated that somethings shouldn't be posted on Facebook, and as an official, talking about a game you have or are going to officiate with a participant should not be posted! You are simply opening yourself up to trouble.

I admit that I have coaches on my friends list that I occasionally officiate for. Sometimes we confirm dates over Facebook, however I will not comment about the game.

I can't say I'm perfect as I have commited one faux pas and was called on it: I made a status update during halftime of a basketball game I was reffing on my cell phone. When I checked Facebook later that night, I had several comments along the lines of, "Hey, aren't you reffing the game I'm watching right now?"
That is certainly another of those "feel good" laws some knee jerk reactionary thought sounded like a good idea, and that can be easily circumnavigated by standard email, text, or the good old fashioned phone call.

I have often wondered, as a public educator myself, when we became so concerned with students and teachers being able to talk. We never seemed to, historically anyway, be concerned when our kids stayed after school for tutoring or made phone calls to teachers. Why do they think that social media is any more of a bugaboo?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
...Why do they think that social media is any more of a bugaboo?
Perhaps because it is a more or less completely public conversation, including many people who would not have been a party to the other conversations.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
That is certainly another of those "feel good" laws some knee jerk reactionary thought sounded like a good idea, and that can be easily circumnavigated by standard email, text, or the good old fashioned phone call.

I have often wondered, as a public educator myself, when we became so concerned with students and teachers being able to talk. We never seemed to, historically anyway, be concerned when our kids stayed after school for tutoring or made phone calls to teachers. Why do they think that social media is any more of a bugaboo?
Because we don't know what to teach our kids anymore these days.

We ask them to be respectful, but teach them to not trust authorities like teachers, principals and policemen.

We teach them to be afraid of strangers, but it's okay to let that TSA man touch you inside your pants in the interests of "national security."

We sterilize their world with Lysol and hand gels, but feed them crap with more preservatives than Lenin's body.

We tell them we want them to be good, hard workers and to dream big, but there are some parents out there who are actively working to abolish homework.

We want every kid to be doctors, lawyers, etc., but we tell them that their incorrect and mediocre schoolwork is "good enough."

We want every kid to be a winner, so we no longer keep score in an attempt to prevent kids from being "losers." And don't fool yourself, the kids are keeping score. We're teaching them to add. Sort of.

We teach them to learn about every other culture and religion in the world, but that one Christmas tree in front of a town hall is somehow going to be the ruin of the whole town (and I'm an atheist, by the way).

We no longer spank our children when they misbehave, and instead tell 2-year olds to sit in a corner for 5 minutes to "think about their actions."

We say we want our kids to be strong, but in reality, we teach them to be cowards.

When I grew up, you listened to your elders. You respected your neighbors and ran to their house if you were in trouble. You said "yes, sir" or "yes ma'am" to a policeman/policewoman, and if my parents got a phone call home from the teacher, guess what. I got a spanking.

I'm thankful for the way I was raised. I respect my bosses, I respect others around me, and it's done me a world of good.

We're raising a generation of effing sissies.

(I wanted to use another word, but I respect the language rules here)

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 12:49pm.