Thread: Social Media
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 27, 2012, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
A simple question that I hope sparks discussion.

Is it acceptable for an umpire to be "friends" on Facebook with a coach at any level?

(or any social media, for that matter)
Since in today's world, especially in social media, the term "friend" carries a completely different meaning that, IMO, actually devalues the moniker, my answer would be yes.

Who business is it, anyway? The conspiracy theorists may have an issue, then again, they have an issue with which way one dispenses their toilet paper in their home bathroom.

Let me counter with this: Are there umpires out there who have "real" friends that happen to be coaches? If you have a friend who becomes a coach, do you terminate that friendship? If you have a sibling who becomes a coach, do you terminate all contact? And what happens when you have a coach who also umpires!

AFAIC, an umpire officiates the game, not the people. You can be friends all you want away from the game. If you have someone that cannot separate personal association from the game, they probably shouldn't be either an umpire or a coach.

And, yes, this is my opinion at all levels.