The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 10:39am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Um, ok. I see why you think that. That is NOT what the rule is for. Merely positioning one's body somewhat in the way is not OBS under this rule. Perhaps they should word it more specifically, although they DID include the word intentionally.
Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking about when they came up with this rule.

I've heard of a play where F6 cuts in front of a leading-off runner at second to screen his vision from F1 just as F1 attempts a pickoff with F4 covering. Maybe they were concerned with this particular situation? I dunno...

Suffice it to say the concept of "visual obstruction" does exist. As KJUmp mentioned, it certainly appears in NCAA Softball under 9.4.2.3 to address the tag-up situation I brought up. And under 9.4.2.7, NCAA Softball covers the original post scenario, but it's not the typical obstruction ruling. Rather, it's a warn and then a one-base award if the same player does it again.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking about when they came up with this rule.
I am. So is every NCAA umpire and any wanabe's that have attended their clinics. It is NOT to address the tag-up situation you brought up. It requires intent. You should be thinking, a fielder standing directly next to the runner and actively hindering his view. NOT just merely being in the path.

Quote:
I've heard of a play where F6 cuts in front of a leading-off runner at second to screen his vision from F1 just as F1 attempts a pickoff with F4 covering. Maybe they were concerned with this particular situation? I dunno...
Nope, they weren't.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Man, reading this post was 5 minutes of wasted time I'll never get back.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 07:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsumpntx View Post
Man, reading this post was 5 minutes of wasted time I'll never get back.
Sorry to hear that. I actually learned something, and that is that only NCAA Softball recognizes visual obstruction. It doesn't exist in ASA, and probably not in NFHS either.

Will I ever see it in a game? Probably not. But, heck, probably 80% of the stuff we discuss here I'll never see. Does that mean I shouldn't waste my team reading about those situations. Not if I want to be prepared, just in case.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker