The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Here's one for you

Here's the scenario.

R1 on 1B. B2 hits a pop fly in foul territory near third base. R1 thinking there are two outs advances to 2nd. The coach realizing there is only 1 out interferes with F5's attempt to catch the ball.

What do you have in ASA?
What do you have in FED?
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Here's the scenario.

R1 on 1B. B2 hits a pop fly in foul territory near third base. R1 thinking there are two outs advances to 2nd. The coach realizing there is only 1 out interferes with F5's attempt to catch the ball.

What do you have in ASA?
What do you have in FED?
Are you asking if a coach can be called for INT on a double play, like a retired runner?
I doubt if there is any such wording in the book, but definitely UC.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 08:34am

FED ruling:

3-5-5 Pen.

R1 is out. Foul ball. Batter remains at bat.

Wow ... the penalty doesn't fit the crime here. Seems like you should be able to get two outs here.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Take a Look at 7-4-12 Penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
FED ruling:

3-5-5 Pen.

R1 is out. Foul ball. Batter remains at bat.

Wow ... the penalty doesn't fit the crime here. Seems like you should be able to get two outs here.
Look at 7-4-12 Penalty.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 09:20am

Whoops ... you're right. 3-5-5 specifically excludes a base coach. 3-5-6 is the applicable rule in FED. You've got two outs here which makes a whole lot more sense to me.
Quote:
ART. 6 . . . If any offensive team member, other than a runner or retired runner,
interferes with a batted fair ball or foul fly ball, the batter is declared out. If,
in the judgment of the umpire, the interference prevented a possible double play,
the batter and runner closest to home shall be declared out.
PENALTY: (Art. 6) The ball is dead immediately and the batter and runner may
be out. (8-6-16,17,19; 7-4-12)
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Are you asking if a coach can be called for INT on a double play, like a retired runner?
I doubt if there is any such wording in the book, but definitely UC.
Check FED rule book 7-4-12. You can get a DP on this. But not in ASA.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
My focus is entirely ASA right now, National this week and no HS since May.
I read RADIO's post.

What do think of UC in either rules?
Old Wed Aug 01, 2012, 11:04am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
What about ASA 7.6.I and 8.7.O? Which one do you use? Is it an either/or situation, or can you combine the two if you feel the base coach did something intentional?

7.6.I: [The batter is out] When members of the team at bat, including those in the team area, other than runners interfere with a player attempting to field a fair or foul fly ball.

8.7.O: [The runner is out] When a coach intentionally interferes with a batted or thrown ball, or interferes with the defensive team’s opportunity to make a play on another runner.

I'm confused...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
My focus is entirely ASA right now, National this week and no HS since May.
I read RADIO's post.

What do think of UC in either rules?
I believe we should only use UC when there is not a more specific rule that covers the particular play. If there is a rule that is exactly on point, we need to use this rule and I believe we have that in this case. I wouldn't use UC.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I have 2 outs here - ASA rules posted above.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 10:56am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I have 2 outs here - ASA rules posted above.
I assume you're referring to the two rules I mentioned in my post above. I just don't know if it's appropriate to bunch two different rules together like that to gain two outs.

Suppose it was the on-deck batter and not the third base coach that intentionally interfered with the foul fly. You can obviously use ASA 7-6-I to rule the batter out. But I cannot find any rule that penalizes the on-deck batter for purposely preventing a DP, and rule the runner out as well.

So if it sounds like ASA doesn't support calling a DP should an on-deck batter (or other offensive player, for that matter) interfere here, can we hold the base coach to a different standard?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe we should only use UC when there is not a more specific rule that covers the particular play. If there is a rule that is exactly on point, we need to use this rule and I believe we have that in this case. I wouldn't use UC.
Disagree. An UC has nothing to do with any number of outs which may be ruled, but the conduct of the individual whether the result of the act is covered by a rule or not.

I would have to see how the coach interfered. If did anything to initiate physical contact with F5, that coach is done, period.

And before you start, it is nothing at all like two participating players making contact, as the coach has zero excuse for moving toward a fielder.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I assume you're referring to the two rules I mentioned in my post above. I just don't know if it's appropriate to bunch two different rules together like that to gain two outs.
I see your point under normal circumstances, but in the case posted, the interference was with BOTH getting the batter out and making a play on the runner. This was a play that, had there been no interference, 2 outs would have been likely, and the offense interfered intentionally to prevent a double play. It is against everything that the interference rules are put into place to prevent, to allow the offense to benefit from doing something that is clearly against the rules.

Quote:
Suppose it was the on-deck batter and not the third base coach that intentionally interfered with the foul fly. You can obviously use ASA 7-6-I to rule the batter out. But I cannot find any rule that penalizes the on-deck batter for purposely preventing a DP, and rule the runner out as well.
Again, I see your point. But what I said above still stands. There is every indication that the rules as written intend to prevent the offense from intentionally preventing a double play. I don't think it's a stretch to use rule 10 here. Clearly, this eventuality is not specifically written into the rulebook, and I absolutely hate falling back on Rule 10 - but not ruling 2 outs in this case is against everything that all of the interference rules are about.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 06, 2012, 02:17pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
There is every indication that the rules as written intend to prevent the offense from intentionally preventing a double play.
Trust me, I agree with you. That is why I brought up using the two rules in the first place when rwest said you can't have a DP under ASA.

I just have a hard time justifying to myself that if I can't use one or the other to rule a DP whenever any offensive team member blatantly prevents a fielder from catching a foul ball, I can just combine the two of them. And even then, that really only covers a base coach.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Fed only,
Interference on a Foul Fly by Runner or Coach

Interference by runner: (8-6-10) Runner is out, strike to batter, batter still bats unless bunting on 3rd strike.

Interference by coach: (3-5-6) Batter is out, runner(s) return. If the interference prevented a possible double play, both the batter and the runner closest home is also out.