The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
If I'm following this right, the question is, "did r1 interfere f2's play on r2"?
Hugo,
Look at this sequence again - "R2 steps on back of plate just before catcher jumps over R1 to make tag. R1 did nothing purposely to keep the catcher from reaching R2."

As I read this, R2 had scored before F2 attempted to make a play. So, what play was interfered with?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

I think the problem is this:

R2 steps on back of plate just before catcher jumps over R1 to make tag

Some are reading that as typed - 1) R2 steps on plate; 2) Catcher jumps.

Others are reading that to say R2's step was just before THE TAG... IOW - Catcher jumps, R2 steps, Catcher tags.

Not positive it makes a difference - but I see that as the crux of the difference of opinion among your responses.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I think the problem is this:

R2 steps on back of plate just before catcher jumps over R1 to make tag

Some are reading that as typed - 1) R2 steps on plate; 2) Catcher jumps.

Others are reading that to say R2's step was just before THE TAG... IOW - Catcher jumps, R2 steps, Catcher tags.

Not positive it makes a difference - but I see that as the crux of the difference of opinion among your responses.
I think you're right in reading the communication problem. Now the thing I'm interested in is the second. What would you have to see to have interference there?
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I think you're right in reading the communication problem. Now the thing I'm interested in is the second. What would you have to see to have interference there?
I'm not sure why that part is difficult. Understanding the timing on THIS play may be an issue (HTBT), but I think the ruling should be apparent.

My practical answer is if I believe R2 would be out if R1 wasn't in the way, then it is interference. R1 (a runner that has already scored) has no rule exemption to hinder the defense from making a play, unintentionally or otherwise (NOTE: no book in hand, in hotel room ready to go out my games of the day).

If I believe R2 would be safe regardless, then R1's position is immaterial. No possible out equals no play, so no interference.

I suppose the next post will include someone saying R1 was just doing what runners should do (slide, yes, but cover and block the plate, no), and/or that they cannot go 'poof' after scoring. Cite me a rule that supports anything but interference if a runner that has already scored actually hinders the defense from making a play.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I'm not sure why that part is difficult. Understanding the timing on THIS play may be an issue (HTBT), but I think the ruling should be apparent.

My practical answer is if I believe R2 would be out if R1 wasn't in the way, then it is interference. R1 (a runner that has already scored) has no rule exemption to hinder the defense from making a play, unintentionally or otherwise (NOTE: no book in hand, in hotel room ready to go out my games of the day).

If I believe R2 would be safe regardless, then R1's position is immaterial. No possible out equals no play, so no interference.

I suppose the next post will include someone saying R1 was just doing what runners should do (slide, yes, but cover and block the plate, no), and/or that they cannot go 'poof' after scoring. Cite me a rule that supports anything but interference if a runner that has already scored actually hinders the defense from making a play.
I think this is what I said in post #2 of this thread.....
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I think this is what I said in post #2 of this thread.....
Yes, you did. Full credit for correctness.

Reality is that some topics need the naysayers to try to explain their logic, or others to make sure they fully agree what the question is before they are ready to hear the right answer. Your answer was simply too soon for most to accept, despite being completely correct.

It is rare that any posted question is so clear, and the first response also so clear and accurate that a thread dies that fast. Look at the double first base thread, for example. Asked, answered, still lives.