The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Runner Lying on base (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91829-runner-lying-base.html)

tzme415 Fri Jun 22, 2012 03:03pm

Runner Lying on base

Situation: Men's ASA Slowpitch - R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st - Batter hits ball into outfield, R2 is a much faster runner than R1 and is right behind R1 when approaching home plate. Ball gets to catcher but is up the 1st base line as R1 slides into home. R1 is on top of base, but there is some uncovered at the back corner. R2 steps on back of plate just before catcher jumps over R1 to make tag. R1 did nothing purposely to keep the catcher from reaching R2.

Is R2 safe or should interference be called on R1?

Andy Fri Jun 22, 2012 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzme415 (Post 847031)
Situation: Men's ASA Slowpitch - R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st - Batter hits ball into outfield, R2 is a much faster runner than R1 and is right behind R1 when approaching home plate. Ball gets to catcher but is up the 1st base line as R1 slides into home. R1 is on top of base, but there is some uncovered at the back corner. R2 steps on back of plate just before catcher jumps over R1 to make tag. R1 did nothing purposely to keep the catcher from reaching R2.

Wow...this is definitely a HTBT to see this play.

In reading your description, I would ask if F2 would have been able to reach and tag R2 before he touched the plate if R1 was not there. If the answer is yes, then an interference call is correct. If the answer to that question is no, then no interference call as there is not a play to be interfered with.

You did say the throw was up the first base line, I'm envisioning that F2 had to take a few steps away from the plate to go get the ball and then had to move back to the plate to try to make a play. That leads me to think that there is not interference here.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 22, 2012 04:33pm

Quote:

Run has already scored. This is nothing

jwwashburn Fri Jun 22, 2012 05:08pm

I always thought Men's Slow Pitch players lie whether they are on the base or not:D:D:D:D:D

Crabby_Bob Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 847046)
I always thought Men's Slow Pitch players lie whether they are on the base or not:D:D:D:D:D

At least they're not laying on the base. :eek:

Crabby_Bob Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 847046)

DeputyUICHousto Sat Jun 23, 2012 06:11am

We've all heard their "motto"..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob (Post 847085)

"If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'!"

HugoTafurst Sat Jun 23, 2012 06:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob (Post 847085)

That wasnt even funny the first time....;)

EsqUmp Sat Jun 23, 2012 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 847041)
Run has already scored. This is nothing

There is potential for interference by a runner who scored. But it is too difficult to tell whether this would apply. We would need to know exactly where the runner was, what the catcher had to do, etc.

CecilOne Sat Jun 23, 2012 04:28pm

Quote:

The bold part is the crux. Was jumping over R1 needed to reach the tag?

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 23, 2012 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 847118)
The bold part is the crux. Was jumping over R1 needed to reach the tag?

What difference does it make if R2 has already touched the plate?

EsqUmp Sat Jun 23, 2012 06:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 847122)
What difference does it make if R2 has already touched the plate?

Possibility of interference by runner who has scored. Keep reading.

Steve M Sat Jun 23, 2012 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 847125)
Possibility of interference by runner who has scored. Keep reading.

Hmmmmmmmm
R1 has scored. R2 has scored. Interference by which runner that has scored - and with what play?

HugoTafurst Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 847134)
Hmmmmmmmm
R1 has scored. R2 has scored. Interference by which runner that has scored - and with what play?

If I'm following this right, the question is, "did r1 interfere f2's play on r2"?

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 847157)
If I'm following this right, the question is, "did r1 interfere f2's play on r2"?

That's how I read it, also. I also read that R2 touched the plate prior to the catcher starting to go over R1. So, IMJ, even if you consider R1 to being a hinderance or impediment (which I would not) to F2, R2 had scored by the time that impediment became a factor in the attempted play.