The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Strike mat

I searched but didn't find much except proposed rule changes.

One of our men's slow pitch league will be having a 1 week trial run with a strike mat. I don't suppose that's such a big deal.

I think the bigger deal is that they still want a ball that hits the plate to be called a ball. I find this to be counter-productive. Don't leagues that use the mat typically have anything that hits the combination of plate/mat called as a strike [assuming height requirements are met]?

I'd say they are looking for more consistency in how our guys are calling pitches, particularly deep balls.

I still think the slow pitch strike zone is just the goofiest thing... Hit the dang ball, Bubba!
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

The most enjoyable adult softball league I've ever been in was a 3-pitch league. You pitch to your OWN team - and you get 3 pitches. No need to judge strikes. No needless watching hitters wait until after they've gotten a strike. 3 pitches. Hit one Bubba.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
The most enjoyable adult softball league I've ever been in was a 3-pitch league. You pitch to your OWN team - and you get 3 pitches. No need to judge strikes. No needless watching hitters wait until after they've gotten a strike. 3 pitches. Hit one Bubba.
Interesting. The dynamics of hitting back through the box might change. What if the pitcher, after fielding a hard one-hopper, throws the ball over the dugout?
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post

One of our men's slow pitch league will be having a 1 week trial run with a strike mat. I don't suppose that's such a big deal.

I think the bigger deal is that they still want a ball that hits the plate to be called a ball. I find this to be counter-productive. Don't leagues that use the mat typically have anything that hits the combination of plate/mat called as a strike [assuming height requirements are met]?

I'd say they are looking for more consistency in how our guys are calling pitches, particularly deep balls.

I still think the slow pitch strike zone is just the goofiest thing... Hit the dang ball, Bubba!
Look at the rules for senior slow pitch as the mat is used in that division.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting. The dynamics of hitting back through the box might change. What if the pitcher, after fielding a hard one-hopper, throws the ball over the dugout?
Not sure I follow... if you're referring to the person (from the offensive team) who pitched the ball, he doesn't field anything - if the batted ball hits him (or he for some reason fields it), dead ball, batter's out. If you are referring to the defensive player positioned near the rubber - then throwing the ball out of play would be like any other infielder throwing it out of play.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Not sure I follow... if you're referring to the person (from the offensive team) who pitched the ball, he doesn't field anything - if the batted ball hits him (or he for some reason fields it), dead ball, batter's out. If you are referring to the defensive player positioned near the rubber - then throwing the ball out of play would be like any other infielder throwing it out of play.
Oh, "defensive player positioned near the rubber ", like t-ball!
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

All the divisions of our local adult SP league use the strike mat.... and we start with a 1&1 count. Easiest SP umpiring I've ever worked as an umpire.

Downside....now in my fourth season of working games with the mat, my skills as an effective SP PU have eroded to the point that I'd be clueless behind the plate. I wouldn't have anything resembling an accurate and consistent strike zone. As such, this is the only SP I work, everything else is FP.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 04:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

I've worked a few different leagues with the strike mat and all of them included the plate as a strike. Believe it or not, you'll still get arguments over strikes. AAs like to argue about anything.

My one slow pitch ejection was the result of a strike mat strike I called.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Possible issues - Strike zone for 5' player same as that for a 6'4" player
Great pitch comes across the plate, you call it a strike and it misses the mat.
Guarantee you will lose more strikes, legitimate strikes than is worth the mat.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Played in an intramural league at PJC (Larry's knows what that is) and they allowed two pitches from you own player. Real simple, hit or sit. No count, no walks, no strike outs.

The games were great and competition good even for an intramural league.

Defense would put a player behind the pitcher, if they wanted. Pitcher couldn't touch the ball or get in the way, automatic out. Loved it!
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Sacramento and surrounding areas

Mat is a strike. Plate is a ball. Mats used are 19- 21 inches wide and fit around plate starting a point where plate angles to triangle. In senior play, both SSUSA and NCSSA a single mat is used and plate area is considered a strike. Why the difference, I have no clue.

I've played "One-Pitch" where your own guys pitches. Now this is a fast game. You can get most games in in 45 minutes.

mat for slowpitch - Bing Images

Last edited by Linknblue; Mon Jun 18, 2012 at 07:02pm.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Played in an intramural league at PJC (Larry's knows what that is) and they allowed two pitches from you own player. Real simple, hit or sit. No count, no walks, no strike outs.

The games were great and competition good even for an intramural league.

Defense would put a player behind the pitcher, if they wanted. Pitcher couldn't touch the ball or get in the way, automatic out. Loved it!
PJC is now PSC. All over the Panhandle kids leave high school and head off to "Pen State."
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Guarantee you will lose more strikes, legitimate strikes than is worth the mat.
Because of the pitcher trying to aim for the mat?
Old Mon Jun 18, 2012, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Because of the pitcher trying to aim for the mat?

No, because the mat does not properly reflect the strike zone
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, because the mat does not properly reflect the strike zone
Meaning the shoulder to knee strike zone the pitcher would be pitching to in a game played without the strike mat?