The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Calling Fair and Foul

I'm a new umpire - working from 9-10 year olds up to to high school age and beyond. Most of my training has come from what I'm able to read on the internet - umpire training manuals from leagues and park districts. I'm confused about when to call fair and foul as the PU.

I got the impression from some of what I read that you only signal for a fair ball and save the verbal call for foul balls. Is that always true or are there exceptions.

I had a game last night with a fly ball down 3rd base line - I signalled fair but didn't verbally call anything. The play kind of came to a stop with them asking whether it was fair or foul. I assumed they would play it until it was called foul. Should one verbally call fair or foul if it's close and questionable?

Thanks,

Nic
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 02:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicshow View Post
I'm a new umpire - working from 9-10 year olds up to to high school age and beyond. Most of my training has come from what I'm able to read on the internet - umpire training manuals from leagues and park districts. I'm confused about when to call fair and foul as the PU.

I got the impression from some of what I read that you only signal for a fair ball and save the verbal call for foul balls. Is that always true or are there exceptions.

I had a game last night with a fly ball down 3rd base line - I signalled fair but didn't verbally call anything. The play kind of came to a stop with them asking whether it was fair or foul. I assumed they would play it until it was called foul. Should one verbally call fair or foul if it's close and questionable?

Thanks,

Nic

Welcome to the Forum Nic.

Verbally and visually signal a Foul Ball because the ball is Dead. Only visually signal a Fair Ball because it is Live. Players are supposed to know that they are to play until they hear Foul, Dead, Balk, or Time from an Umpire. If they don't know that then shame on their coaches.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

What Mark said.....

The reason that you do not use a verbal on both fair and foul balls is because it can be very hard to differentiate between a call of FAIR and FOUL when they are shouted by an umpire.

Therefore, we only use the verbal (with a signal) on FOUL balls and only use a signal on FAIR balls.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Every batted ball is fair, until it is not. That's why we point on close ones - confirming that it is really a fair ball. It's telling everyone that we were watching, we saw it land and it is fair.

That's also why we shouldn't rush to call a ball foul. If we call it foul before it actually is foul, it could possibly end up being fair. That is a bell that cannot be unrung.

Welcome!

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
What Mark said.....
Except for that "balk" thing. The relative equivilent is an Illegal Pitch which is a delayed dead ball.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Except for that "balk" thing. The relative equivilent is an Illegal Pitch which is a delayed dead ball.
Which means continue play. No Mike, not for you, for the newbies.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Make sure that on the IP that people can hear you, but still are able to play on... As BU, make sure your partner hears you if the ball wasn't hit. If he doesn't, stay with DDB-signal on and get in his sight! Than call it again...
When a ball is hit, wait with the signal on, until play has ended. Afterwards make the right call.

@nicshow: Welcome on board!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?