The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics

Which organizations instruct umpires to walk out to F1 after a pitching change, show the number of outs to the pitcher by holding up (a closed fist, 1 or 2 fingers) and then point to any bases that may be occupied?

Is that an advanced mechanic?

Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps the YSISF??????
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Which organizations instruct umpires to walk out to F1 after a pitching change, show the number of outs to the pitcher by holding up (a closed fist, 1 or 2 fingers) and then point to any bases that may be occupied?

If nothing else, this annoys me because it is one more delay in the game.

Oy.

Rita
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So...you were working with one of "those," eh?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
So...you were working with one of "those," eh?
2 of those actually (3 person rotation).

It's probably not the worst thing in the world (we were doing 12 & 14U) - but it was a "qualifier.....

And as Rita says, it's another slow down of the game.... Especially the dramatic walk from the plate to F1 and back.

When I was on the plate, it was the BU at the circle watching and then after 5, the "look" (meaning "should I tell F1 or do you want to do it"?) My BU got the message as I already was beginning to sweep the plate.

I was working with partners I didn't know, so I didn't want to make a big deal of it, but post game, I mentioned that I wasn't in the habit of doing that.

No big deal I guess, just one of those things that bugs me...
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post

(snip)

Oy.

Rita
Nice Rita!! Just work on the accent a little and throw in the slight toss of the head when you say it.
I'll have my mom heat up some Matzoh Ball soup.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 01:23pm

I'm fortunate enough to have worked with the same partner in HS ball for 19 years. However, he's one that that is in the habit of doing this while I stopped doing it years ago.
This season he asked me why I don't let the pitchers know the situation. I told him, "The coach just spent a minute in the circle with the new pitcher. If he didn't tell her, why should I? Sounds like something a coach should take care of, doesn't it?"
Guess who doesn't do it anymore.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA manual specifically says not to do this.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Probably the same one that cites social etiquette that you also offer them a beverage!
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Probably the same one that cites social etiquette that you also offer them a beverage!
I think you got beer on your mind today...
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper33 View Post
NCAA manual specifically says not to do this.
Don't get me wrong; the topic is an absolutely hokie mechanic that has no place even in the lowest town league rec ball. Makes the hair on my neck go up any time I see it.

[Rant]

BUT, the NCAA Manual is intended to describe how to call NCAA games, and is absolutely NOT the standard to be used in all levels of softball play. No disrespect intended to those that read it, know it, live it; when calling NCAA. It just isn't the be-all end-all for softball mechanics.

Example:

You will NEVER convince me that a base umpire shouldn't tell a 10U player stealing on the pitch with her head down and ready to "slide" that it is a foul ball to save her from the high percentage injury from the unnecessary slide. College coaches don't want umpires to tell THEIR players, FINE!! Doesn't make it bad in rec ball, lower ages and levels.

Example:

You need to give the count way more often in lower levels, even if NCAA manual tells you to do it less. Sometimes even after the first pitch.

Example:

You need to verbalize and signal foul balls in lower levels, even when the NCAA manual says don't when obvious. NOTHING is obvious to some.

Just sayin'. The fallback answer about NCAA manual mechanics doesn't always mean they are better mechanics, or even necessarily "higher level" mechanics. They are simply the proper mechanics for NCAA games.

[/RANT]
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I see what you did here during this slow time......

Joel
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nice Rita!! Just work on the accent a little and throw in the slight toss of the head when you say it.
I'll have my mom heat up some Matzoh Ball soup.
I was hoping you would catch that.

I've always thought it was a great word that expresses so much!

Like how my family says, "Poh!" I'll share it with you some time.

Rita
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I hate it. Absolutely hate it. But several umpires in my parts with far more experience than I do it.

Had a game this past season with a very very good seasoned vet who does this - he was plate, HS varsity game. Early in the game, 2nd inning or so, we had an extended delay due to a baserunner injury. After the delay he let her throw a couple, and then sauntered out to the mound. Coach starts yelling from the dugout - "Stop talking to my pitcher." and "Leave her alone, let's play." But he doesn't come out.

Later in the game (6th inning if memory serves), he pulls his pitcher with bases loaded and 1 out, up by 1 or 2. Pitcher gets her warmups, and partner heads back out to the mound. Coach comes completely unglued, comes out to yell at my partner - FAR beyond what just about anyone else would take and not eject. A solid minute an a half of this coach in my partner's face, then finally heads back and grumbles loudly to the 3rd base coach.

Yeah ... if I was ever waffling about heading out there and doing as the Romans do, I am not now.

West Houston Mike