The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Fastpitch FED Obstruction Award

I posted a OBS situation in baseball and am curious of softball uses the same award.

1. R1 rounds 2nd and is obstructed by F6. In the opinion of the umpire she was not trying to go to 3rd base.
2. Same as 1 but she "maybe" could have gotten safely to 3rd base.

FED rules.

Does intent of the runner or likelihood of success matter? Is it an automatic one-base minimum award in FED ?

Disclosure: Not a coach. Not an umpire. Not a fan of any team that had this happen. It's just a hot button issue from a state tourney game.

Thanks
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
...Does intent of the runner...matter?...
No.
Quote:
...Does ...likelihood of success matter?...
Yes. The umpire will judge the base the runner would have achieved without the obstruction and award that base, regardless of whether the runner tried for it or not.
Quote:
...Is it an automatic one-base minimum award in FED ?...
No. See above.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Does " In the opinion of the umpire she was not trying to go to 3rd base." mean judging that she would not have reached 3rd even w/o the OBS?
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Try this

Rather than thinking "automatic award", the FED SB rule is written as...

Quote:
a. If the obstructed runner is put out prior to reaching the base that would have been reached had there not been obstruction, a dead ball is called and the obstructed runner and each other runner affected by the obstruction will be awarded the base or bases which would have been reached, in the umpire's judgment, had there not been obstruction. An obstructed runner may not be called out between the two bases where she was obstructed.
If you think about that, it should answer your questions.

Quote:
1. R1 rounds 2nd and is obstructed by F6. In the opinion of the umpire she was not trying to go to 3rd base.
2. Same as 1 but she "maybe" could have gotten safely to 3rd base.
Doesn't matter what she was trying to do - matters what the umpire judges would have happened.

Quote:
Does intent of the runner or likelihood of success matter?
Once again, intent isn't really the question (but it may help shape the judgement)

The whole idea behind the obstruction is not to penalize, but to make things end up they way they would have.

HOWEVER there is one more important part of the ruling and that is...
Quote:
An obstructed
runner may not be called out between the two bases where she was
obstructed.
So, for instance the runner is rounding 2nd (but in the umpires judgement she would not have made it safely to 3rd) and is obstructed by F6, then tagged out (whether she was continuing to 3rd or retreating to 2nd).
TIME would be called and the runner would be placed on 2nd....
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

I was thinking the same thing. Umpires do not give opinions, we rule based on judgements.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Well let me ask this, since we're on it.

I doubt if this matters, but this is was in an adult slow pitch game:

B1 hits a grounder, rounds 1st base, bumps into F1 who was in the base line. He then goes back to 1st and asks for obstruction call.

I was base umpire. Before I could even say anything my partner said he did get obstructed and awarded him the base. I let it go and didn't argue it, mainly because while I "believe" he has to complete the trip to 2nd in order to get an obstruction call, I'm not completely sure. And I don't have my books on me at the moment.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post

B1 hits a grounder, rounds 1st base, bumps into F1 who was in the base line. He then goes back to 1st and asks for obstruction call.

I was base umpire. Before I could even say anything my partner said he did get obstructed and awarded him the base. I let it go and didn't argue it, mainly because while I "believe" he has to complete the trip to 2nd in order to get an obstruction call, I'm not completely sure. And I don't have my books on me at the moment.
There is no rule saying that a runner has to attempt to advance to receive the award. What base would the runner have attained if not obstructed? Award them that one.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
There is no rule saying that a runner has to attempt to advance to receive the award. What base would the runner have attained if not obstructed? Award them that one.
^^^^most of the above.....

Joel
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It doesn't

Quote:
The baseline has zip to do with it and a player should never have to "ask" for an OBS.

Quote:
Your "belief" is in error. Don't know if the player deserved the base because I wasn't there to see it, but there is no down side to ruling OBS.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Both you and your partner were wrong. He does NOT have to attempt to get to 2nd to be awarded 2nd. However, it's most likely that your partner erred in awarding 2nd - as it sounds like there's no chance the runner would have achieved 2nd base. The OBS protects him between the bases where he was when obstructed - sounds like between home and 1st if that's where F1 was. So he was safe at first even if thrown out. But 2nd doesn't seem likely here.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

mbcrowder, I just wanted to point out:
Quote:
B1 hits a grounder, rounds 1st base, bumps into F1 who was in the base line. He then goes back to 1st
that this sounds to me like he was obstructed between first and second, and that's where he couldn't be put out.

Without seeing it, I can't be sure, but I agree that awarding second doesn't sound particularly likely on an infield grounder.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pob14 View Post
mbcrowder, I just wanted to point out:
that this sounds to me like he was obstructed between first and second, and that's where he couldn't be put out.

Without seeing it, I can't be sure, but I agree that awarding second doesn't sound particularly likely on an infield grounder.
I see the order he posted it ... but F1 in a place where BR can run into him while rounding 1st seemed very odd, especially on an infield grounder - not sure I've ever seen the pitcher there. I assumed the bump was before first base - but if it wasn't, you are right.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I see the order he posted it ... but F1 in a place where BR can run into him while rounding 1st seemed very odd, especially on an infield grounder - not sure I've ever seen the pitcher there. I assumed the bump was before first base - but if it wasn't, you are right.
I believe you made the wrong assumption. One who isn't an umpire (rather a referee) is more likely to think the first baseman (F3) is F1.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I believe you made the wrong assumption. One who isn't an umpire (rather a referee) is more likely to think the first baseman (F3) is F1.
Didn't even think of that, but you are probably right - makes a LOT more sense that way too.

West Houston Mike